1《Parents and child》

The Federation of Malaysia 1965

I look at her in disbelief. "You- You didn't mean it... Right?..." I laughed nervously. But her firm gesture and hard face did not change.

  "Singapore. We can't afford you anymore. Please take it seriously." my smile fell.

  "Are you... Serious?..." I asked, dumbfounded. "I am." she sighed.

  Her government officials just frowned at us. My own officials tried to persuade them but still no response.

   After a few more arguing, my adviser pulled me. "That's enough. We are leaving." he said in defeat. "No... NO! PLEASE DON'T!" I cried out in desperation. "Sir, please stop!"

   All hope leave me when she turned around. "Take him, do whatever you want." she hissed. Her eyes never meet mine.

    "Wait- No! Ma-" "Singapura. Lebih baik kamu tinggalkan tanah Melayu. Cukuplah semua masalah yang kamu dah lakukan.¹" her cold stoic words send shiver through my body. "Mama... Kenapa- Kenapa mama sanggup halau anak sendiri?²" I asked, I wanted my voice to be strong but it came out shaky. Her body stiffened slightly but enough for me to knew it affected her too. "Apa yang saya pernah buat kat mama?!!³" I demanded for an answer. Even one is enough.

<"Singapore, you better leave malaya (Peninsula). You already caused too much problems."¹ "Mama... How- How could you kick out your own son?"² "What did I ever do to you?!!"³>

   "APA SALAH SAYA?!!⁴" I yelled, tears of frustration clouded my view. "Pu- Singapura. Tolong jangan buat masalah di depan khalayak ramai.⁵" she raised her head high. No mercy shown. "Fine! Kalau itu yang kau mahu, mulai hari ini- Kau bukan lagi ibu aku!⁶" I yelled at her face. She flinched, still averting my eyes.

<"WHAT IS MY FAULT?!!"⁴ "Please don't embarrass yourself further in front of others."⁵ "If that's what you want, starting today- You are not my mother anymore!"⁶>

   "I will manage my own country and I swear today and so on that I will never bow down to you ever again! I, Singapore, hereby myself as an independent country! And I promise, I will be successful and put shame on you!" I roared with determination.

   "Right, I will hold on to your promise. I'll see you on the top in the future. Singapore. I recognise you as an independent country with free will. You're not part of the Federation of Malaysia starting today. And I want you to know that I will be watching." somehow she seem pleased. It almost as if she held pride in her eyes when she finally look at me. "Continue your father legacy for me, would you?" she mouthed. I clenched my hands.

  "Heh, let's see who will be the best." I glared at her. Suddenly she smiled. The loving smile that I haven't seen in decades. "I will be waiting, 我 的 小儿子."

  "Stop with that false flattery. I'm not yours anymore! You selfish country!" I turned my back on her. My body protested. I want to see that smile really bad. I gritted my teeth. "Stupid woman..."

  Then I left and never looking back again. I still feel her lingering gaze on my back as I exited the room.

●●●

   The morning heat soothed my aching head. I stared at the clear sky. It's been so long since I took a walk at the park like this. Watching my people actually having fun with their families other then working their body to death is a nice change of environment.

  I let out a sigh. I'm glad I actually listened to my chief...

  "Woah, isn't it the lion itself in flesh!" I changed my mind. With a deep breath, I turned on my wheels.