chapter 6

Felix and George's faces were mere inches away, the atmosphere filled with an undeniable tension.

The almost-kiss lingered in the air, the anticipation building, and just as the moment was about to unfold, Mabel, George's younger sister, barged into the room.

"I won, I won!" Mabel announced triumphantly, oblivious to the charged atmosphere.

George and Felix snapped out of their intimate moment, exchanging quick glances, trying to act as if nothing unusual had happened.

Dad's voice echoed from downstairs, "Dang it, you cheated!"

Mabel defended herself, "Cheated! I won it fair and square. Don't be a sore loser, old man."

Dad dramatically gasped, "Take it back, you little popcorn thief."

Mabel mocked him with a singsong chant, "Naa...na..naa...na..naa..na."

Felix couldn't help but let out a cute, faint giggle, almost impossible to hear over the family's banter. "They are adorable," he whispered to George.

"You have a wonderful family," Felix added.

George nodded, "Yeah, but they can be too much sometimes."

Felix replied, understanding the unspoken sentiment, "I get that."

Glancing at the time – 8:07, Felix realized it was time to leave. "George, I gotta go."

George smiled, "Sure, let me walk you to the gate."

Felix bid his farewell to George's family, expressing gratitude for the dinner. As George opened the gate for Felix, he added, "Thanks for coming over."

Felix seized the opportunity, "So now that we're cool, can I be part of the assignment again?"

George replied sincerely, "Certainly." A genuine smile crept onto Felix's face as he turned to walk away.

Halting suddenly, Felix turned back, "Hey, George."

George popped his head towards the closing gate, "Yeah?"

"Umm, do you wanna maybe go somewhere tomorrow with me?" Felix nervously asked.

George, biting his lip, questioned, "Like a date?"

Blushing, Felix stammered, "No, yeah... I don't know."

George, glancing at the diner, seemed to be considering his plans for tomorrow.

Sensing George's hesitation, Felix quickly added, "If you have things to do, don't let me bother. Just pretend like I never asked."

George cut him off with a smile, "I'd love to hang out with you."

Felix beamed, "I'll see you tomorrow then."

George, a bit shy, replied, "Good night." He watched as Felix walked into Yvonne's house, disappearing from view.

As Felix returned to Yvonne's house, she was eager to hear about the encounter with George. Yvonne asked, "So how'd it go?"

The almost-kiss moment flashed through Felix's memory, and a smile crept onto his face. He answered, "Better than I expected."

Yvonne let out a heavy sigh of relief, "Thank god."

However, as Felix noticed her reaction, he asked, "What is that suppose to mean?" He gestured toward her.

Yvonne replied, teasingly, "Because I don't want you as my pair. You lazy pile of bones."

Felix frowned, "Why do you always want to pick a fight with me?"