Four

The inside was like a fashion store, full of everything a girl would want—except Noreh. Hair accessories, dresses, makeup, jewelry—you name it. The walls switched from lavender to siege to baby blue to a light pink.

"How can I help you?" A girl asked, her flowy gown turning from lavender to a deep mahogany with each step. Her strawberry–colored hair was held back in tight braids and a gleaming jeweled hair clip that left it past her shoulders. She had YInMn blue eyes and dark skin.

"Um, do you have anything that's not a dress?"

"Yes. Follow me."

The girl led her to the very back of the store, where the walls turned from sea green to pineapple yellow. A row of three racks held tunics and boots.

"These are all we have," she said. "The dressing room is to your left. My name's Calista if you need anything."

She left Noreh to scroll through the clothes, which seemed endless. She hoped Keefe wouldn't mind that she was going to take a while. The racks might be small, but they somehow held a lot.

She eventually picked out a violet tunic with black leggings and laced black boots. It was probably one of the least fanciest things there. Plus, the violet brought out the darker tones in her hair–she'd dyed the top and bottom layers purple. It'd taken two years for her parents to agree.

She looked at her reflection in the huge, three–walled mirror. She liked the outfit, but didn't have any money.

"Ooh, trying to impress a boy?" Calista teased, putting out more jeweled barrettes.

"Nah. I'm not that type. Just trying to find something," Noreh told her, admiring herself one more time before stepping down. "I don't have any money, though."

"Is it your first time?"

"Yeah."

Calista waved the problem away. "First purchase is always free–here, take these."

She handed Noreh a bag and stuffed it with some more tunics, but mostly just barrettes and jewelry.

"Uh. . ."

"My mom will never know."

"Why?"

"Because she always asks me to do inventory."

"No, why are you giving me all this?"

Calista shrugged. "Normally only stuffy nobles come in here—and before you say it, yes, sure, my family's in the nobility—BUT, that doesn't mean we always get great customers. Some people only want to be my friend because we're higher up—which I don't think is fair, but there's nothing I can do to change that, so yeah, anyway, I don't have any real friends."

Noreh perked up–a little. She wasn't the mushy type, but she still had to ask "we're friends?"

"Well, I mean, do you want to be?"

"Yeah. Sounds good."

Calista nodded and smiled. "Okay, then."

Noreh opened her mouth to say something, then remembered Keefe. "Oops. I left someone waiting outside."

Calista squinted out the window. "Is that Keefe Sencen?"

"You know him? I was starting to worry I'd made him up."

"Wha–girl! He's like the most popular guy at Foxfire! Practically everyone's crush! You know him?"

"I met him when he saved me from my chase with Fitz."

Calista's eyes widened. "Fitz Vacker?"

"I guess? I don't know, I just met them. It's a long story."

"Well, you gotta tell me about them."

"I don't know much—"

"Not right now! He's waiting! Later."

"Um. . . how will I reach you?"

"Just call me on your imparter."

"My what?"

"You're imparter."

"What's that?"

She laughed. "Like you don't know what an imparter is."

"Wait, Calista–"

Calista shoved her out the door with the jammed pack bag. Noreh didn't know when Calista had given it to her, but now she had it, and was facing a blonde boy with ice blue eyes who had raised eyebrows.

"It was Calista."

"Who?"

"The girl in there. She gave me a bunch of free stuff and then shoved me out. I think I'm imagining things."

Keefe laughed. "Girls."

"What?"

"Nothing. So, we gotta find some pranks for Foxfire. I was thinking of starting off with Fitzy."

Noreh grinned. "Yes."

They entered Pranks A Lot. The shelves were jam packed with bottles filled with strange elixirs and serums, most of which Noreh couldn't read. They were all gibberish. Keefe had to translate what they said, giving her curious glances whenever she said she couldn't read them.

They bought a bunch of serums. It took them so long, it was almost sunset by the time they left. Keefe looked at the sky, sighing.

"I only have my home crystal with me."

"Okay. . ."

His sigh sounded more like a groan. "Follow me."

They leaped outside a very tall, gray building. "Is this. . . ?"

"Yep. This is Candle Shade. My home." The words sounded bitter, and she looked to find him glaring at the tower. "Come on. The leap master's on the tenth floor. If we're fast enough, we can miss my dad."

He dragged her inside and went on something like an elevator except it brought you to the floor you wanted in like five seconds. She had to lean on him for support, and he laughed.

"I meant to grab the rail," she promised.

"Uh–huh. Sure."

When they arrived, she collapsed to the floor for some unknown reason. He helped her up, laughing, and walked to a room with a crystal thing hanging from the ceiling. He grabbed her hand to keep her from leaving as he yelled "Everglen!"

"Wha–" Before she could finish the words, a crystal came down, and Keefe dragged her into the light.