Six

Noreh woke up in a cold sweat. Her dream had been full of smoke and fire, and too much and too little time. She'd decided sleep was both overrated and confusing as she put on black leggings and a black tank, sweeping her hair into a loose ponytail with a plain clip.

She didn't really know if they'd let her run a lap on the property after what happened yesterday. She'd probably get in trouble if she left and didn't leave a note—but she didn't have any paper, and her nerves itched for her to run. Thankfully, a soft knock interrupted her train of thought. Maybe she'd be able to go for a run peacefully.

"Come in!"

The door opened, and Fitz walked in. "I was just seeing if you were up. There's breakfast downstairs."

"Can I take a quick run before? I normally run in the morning."

She could see the suspicion and doubt on his face. After some hesitation, he opened his mouth to say something, then changed it to "sure. I normally do the same thing."

"Okay."

She could actually see that he was in clothes for exercising—a blue jersey and pants. Noreh jumped off the bed and followed him downstairs, where Della and Alden were waiting.

"Me and Noreh are going for a run," he told them.

"Okay. Don't be long, breakfast will get cold," Della said.

Fitz led Noreh to Everglen's backyard, and they ran in the woods, passing the huge, shimmering lake, and more trees than she could count. Fitz eventually gave up after an hour, but Noreh was still full of energy.

He left her, and she ran for about two more hours before going back to the house. She'd definitely missed breakfast, but when she entered the gleaming castle–house, she found a girl with chocolate brown hair and the same teal eyes as Fitz and Alden.

"Who are you?" She asked defensively.

"Who are you?" Noreh panted.

"Noreh, this is my daughter, Biana," Alden said, entering from his office. He looked her up and down, probably noticing how sweaty she was.

She looked like she'd just gotten out of a pool.

"Are you alright?" He asked, frowning.

"Yeah, I just, uh, need to take a shower," she panted. "I'm gonna go, uh, do that."

She walked past them and up the stairs. When she reached her room she peeled off her soaked clothes, putting them in an airtight bag inside the bag Calista had given her. She started the shower, about to get in, but her vision blurred and she had to lean against the wall for a few moments before get her bearings.

Noreh shook her head and stepped into the steaming shower, letting the water wash away all her sweat and grime.

Alden knocked on the door of a tall tower that was supposed to be a house. He'd explained that she would be staying with a family called the Sencens. The father and son were both Empaths and could help me with my abilities.

The door opened and a man with slick blonde hair and ice blue eyes stood in the doorway. "Mr. Vacker, a pleasure. Ah, you must be Noreh Foster." He looked at Nored like she was a fascinating object he was waiting to unveil.

"Yep," she said awkwardly, staring at the ground.

A woman with blonde hair that was twisted into a tight bun and piercing blue eyes that stared at her walked up. "Dear, don't keep them outside. Bring them in. Excuse my husband's manners."

"Nothing to worry about," Alden said, smiling.

He and Noreh walked into the house. She tensed at how polished and professional it was. The floors and walls were so clean they shined and you could see your reflection if you looked hard enough.

"Keefe! We have guests!" The woman yelled.

Noreh stared at the ground uncomfortably while Alden talked to the man—who she learned name's was Lord Cassius, and his wife was Lady Gisela—while the woman stared at her with curiosity.

Keefe eventually came down the stairs, his blonde hair taking his trademarked, carefully disheveled style. His body was more tense around his parents and the rebellion in his eyes dulled a little as his mother brushed an invisible speck of his jerkin.

"I believe you two have met," Lady Gisela said.

Noreh gave Keefe a quick smile before looking back at the ground. She didn't like how his parents looked at her and felt awkward in the tall, polished tower.

"Here, I'll show you your room," Keefe offered, grabbing her arm and leading her to something that was a mix of a spiral staircase and an elevator.

She clung to the rail as it shot them up in a blur. He laughed and helped her up. He led her into a large room with a canopy bed and a huge, grand dresser. There was a white bookcase filled with so many books Noreh didn't think she'd read any of.

The colors were all white and gray—and of course polished.

"It's. . . nice," she said, shocked.

"Your room takes up three floors—" Keefe explained.

"Three floors? Who needs three floors?" She burst out.

He shrugged. "How big was your old room?"

"Like, a tenth of this room," she answered.

"Huh. Well, if you need anything, I'm the three floors below you. My parents are the six above. Everything else is Daddy Dearest's stuff." He rolled his eyes.

"Thanks, Keefe," she whispered.

He gave her a crooked smile. "Just don't listen to anything my folks say and you'll be good."

He left her alone to settle in. She explored the floors. The second was her bathroom. The bathtub was as large as an extravagant swimming pool and even had a hot tub with refreshing salts. The sink and floors were polished marble.

She had the largest walk–in closet anyone could ever have. It was mostly full of dresses but had a few tunics and leggings. That was okay, though. The stuff Calista had given her in Atlantis would be able to make up for the dresses.

The third floor was a study room. There was a couch, bean bag chairs, a desk, and more bookshelves. The floor had a soft black rug that stretched across most of the floor, but the exposing floor was more polished marble, along with the walls.

"This is going to take some getting used to," she sighed. "Hopefully Sophie's doing better."