Nine

One day at lunch Noreh heard of the Great Cape Incident.

Of course Keefe had spread the story of burning Lady Galvin's cape, and the news was spreading like wildfire. Sophie didn't seem to like the attention that much at first, but then she seemed to take it well. Dex was even in the process of making brown eye drops.

Noreh was pretty bored at Candleshade, so Keefe let her come with him to the Vackers. Biana tried to give her makeovers, but Keefe and Fitz saved her from it by suggesting Base Quest. But one time she didn't get lucky.

"Biana, I really don't think—"

"It'll be fun," Biana insisted. "Come on. Just try it. It's not the end of the world to put on a little makeup and do something with your hair, you know."

Noreh fought for a little bit but eventually gave in. Biana grinned and led her to her room. She sat Noreh down and started pulling out makeup kits and serums, making Noreh gulp. She had even more beauty products than Keefe did hair products—which was saying something.

Noreh squirmed when Biana started brushing makeup on but somehow found the will to stay put. She had to sit on her hands so she wouldn't slap Biana away. Biana finally finished with the makeup—or so Noreh thought. She finished with Noreh's cheeks. She hadn't even started on her eyes.

In between colors she gave Noreh something to drink for her hair. By the time she finished, Noreh didn't think she wanted to look in the mirror. But when she did she gasped. Her hair was bouncier and somehow a bit longer, the purple tints were more prominent, along with her eyes. Her curls were also more contained in pretty waves past her shoulders.

Her eyelashes were darker and more evened out, and her skin was softer but still had her rebellious flare. Her lips had a light pink lip gloss that smelled like fresh strawberries. She was left gaping at her reflection.

"Biana. . . you're. . . how. . ."

Biana smiled. "I took you and made you beautiful—not that you weren't before. You just needed a little sparkle.  Wait right here."

Noreh flopped down on the floor, watching as Biana left to go get who knew what. Footsteps thudded outside the room.

"Noreh?" Keefe called.

"Keefe!" She said, not caring to get up.

The door to Biana's room opened and two boys walked in—Fitz and Keefe. They looked down at Noreh in confusion, wondering why she was on the floor, most likely.

"Are you okay?" Fitz asked.

"No." Noreh pressed the back of her hand against her forehead in a dramatic way. "I've been sparkleized."

"No, but seriously," Keefe said. "You look pale."

"I'm always pale," Noreh said, but felt like she might have a fever. Her body felt like the sun and her arms were itchy.

Biana came back to the room and froze, looking at her brother in alarm. "What happened?"

"She was like this when we found her," Fitz told her. "What did you do?"

"Nothing! I was just giving her a makeover—"

Noreh groaned and looked at her arm, which was covered with hives. "Oh, great. Allergy."

"What's an allergy?" Keefe asked.

Fitz's eyes were wide. He turned to Biana. "Go hail Elwin."

Biana ran off to find her Imparter and hail Elwin. Meanwhile Noreh was trying to stop herself from having a hurl fest, without much luck. Keefe helped her sit up and tried to get her on Biana's bed, but she refused. Even though Biana had been mean at first, Noreh didn't want to puke all over the bed. The floor was the only one that had to suffer.