Fourteen

"How about this?" Calista asked, showing Noreh a vial holding a sloshy red liquid.

"Pretty," Noreh said. "But Keefe dared me to dye my hair with neon colors. Besides, I think I'd rather something. . . colder than red."

"We should check the back," Calista said, glancing at the window of watching elves.

Ever since Noreh started going to Exilium, people kept watching her and whispering behind her back, though she didn't care that much. It was a bit weird when some of them tried to follow her all over Atlantis, though.

She followed Calista to the back of the shop and looked around at the vials, trying to find a neon one that didn't look too bad. She picked up a small box that had a picture of purple, blue, and bright green blended together.

"How about we try this one?"

Calista looked it over and nodded, going to the backroom and setting up the chair and sink for her to dye her hair. Noreh sat down and opened the box, taking out the little vials. She carefully started with the purple, then the blues, the greens.

When she finished she waited an hour, playing truth or dare with Calista before she washed her hair. She started straightening it—despite Noreh's protests—after Noreh dried and brushed the tangles out.

She looked in the mirror and smiled. "You know, Keefe's dare was actually just what I needed."

Calista inspected her. "It's not how it shows on the box—"

"I think I like it better, honestly," Noreh said.

Calista shrugged and started cleaning everything up while Noreh put her hair in a ponytail, the curled ends bouncing at her shoulders. Her Imparter flashed and Calista picked it up, an excited look on her face.

"Hi Keefe Sencen!" She said.

Noreh shook her head, smiling. Keefe was Calista's major crush—along with Fitz. It was honestly kind of amusing to watch her talk about and to them.

"Hey. . . Calista, right?" Keefe asked. "Is Noreh there? She was supposed to be here half an hour ago."

"I'm here!" Noreh called off screen. "I was doing your dare. I kind of like it, not gonna lie."

"SO, Keefe," Calista said smoothly, twirling a braided piece of her strawberry hair around her finger.

Noreh shook her head and finished cleaning the dye out of the sink and resetting everything. Calista was talking to Keefe like they were old friends. Noreh waited patiently while they talked for half an hour before Keefe made an excuse about Biana being impatient and hung up.

Calista handed Noreh her Imparter and said goodbye, the distracted look in her eyes suggesting that she was still dazed from her conversation with Keefe.

Noreh arrived at Everglen and Alden was surprised by her hair but hastily found a compliment. Biana said she loved it, Fitz said it was cool and Keefe said she should've come to the hair master (meaning him), but it was okay for a beginner.

They had dinner and Alden decided they should stay another night (apparently, he didn't trust Noreh, but she didn't really blame him) and they decided wisely not to play another game of truth or dare.

When she climbed the stairs to her room she stumbled and collapsed into Keefe, who caught her frantically. Fitz and Biana huddled around her.

"Are you okay?" Biana asked.

Noreh tried to blink the blurriness away. "Yeah, just really tired."

Keefe and Fitz exchanged a worried look but helped her to her room. She sat down on her bed and took a deep breath, which led to a yawn. She grabbed one of the pillows and held it, since she didn't have a special stuffed animal like Sophie.

"I'll hail Elwin in the morning," Fitz said.

"Seriously, I'm fine," she insisted. "Just tired."

He and Keefe exchanged another one of their looks before he and Biana left, leaving Noreh alone with Keefe.

"Are you sure you're fine?" He asked.

She sighed. "Yes, Keefe."

He sat next to her, tapping his fingers against his legs nervously. She watched him from the side of her eyes, waiting for him to say whatever he was so nervous about.

"Astra—Noreh," he said. "It's just. . . you remind me of someone. My sister, Astraia. You two looked a little alike and are kind of the same. She's a Vociferator and was banished. She goes to Exilium. I was wondering if you might have seen her?"

She stared at the pillow in her arms. "Everyone wears a mask. I can ask my friend, but I haven't seen her. Sorry."

He stood from the bed and walked to the door. "And the reason I'm so worried about is because you feel like a sister to me."