MIDNIGHT

Vivienne's POV:

As the clocks hands drew closer and closer to midnight, I found myself consumed by a whirlwind of emotions.

I mean, I had been waiting to be 16 for as long as I could remember. Of course I could also say that about 10 and 13, but this was the big one.

Tomorrow is finally the day I get my colour. That meant the difference between life and death, royalty and outcast.

As I realised how important this is, I started to become more and more nervous. Why am I even nervous? It's not like I'm doing the exam right now, Is still have hours.

To distract myself, I started looking around my room as if it was all new to me. The moon's soft glow filtered through the curtains, creating a silver glow over the walls.

I watched the mirror glisten and reflect over the room. Everything was silent and for a second I felt more at peace than I had ever before. I was so intrigued with the way the light moved I almost felt hypnotised.

After I snapped out of my trance, I realised I hadn't checked the clock in quite a while. I switched my glance over to the clock that was hanging from my wall.

11:55

I'm nearly 16! I started thinking back about my colour and how it could change my entire life.  Everything I had done before doesn't really matter, it all gets changed by one simple colour.

The weight of the realisation settled heavily on my shoulders as I thought about my hopes and dreams for the future.

Of course it's everyone's dream to be a Gold but realistically, the chances are extremely low and they only get 1 new person every few years.

Perhaps I could be a White. They live a comfortable life and lead a wide number of professions, giving me a lot of options. I would be happy there.

Grey would be fine too, not exactly the bottom of the food chain and well respected. I admit it wouldn't be the best, but it definitely wouldn't be the worst.

The worst would be Colourless. Everyone fears that those people walking on the streets, hungry, dirty, and scary will possibly be them one day.

Memories of my parents flooded my mind. My father  told me about how he felt before, and apparently he wasn't nervous at all. Surely that's a lie though, who wouldn't be nervous at a time like this?

My mother grew sick passed away when I was quite young and all I know of her is from what I am told. I like to imagine she was a beautiful, kind lady whom everyone loved and respected, however from what I know she wasn't very nice. Beautiful still, but I may be biased as she is family. Or was, I guess?

My heart races in anticipation as midnight is just a minute away. Each passing second intensified the significance of this day.

00:00

As the clock stokes midnight, a hushed silence suffocated the room. My breath catches in my throat and my heart seems to skip a beat.

The promise of a new start that awaits me in the morning hangs in the air, heightening the tension and excitement within me.

A smile cracked through my face as I leaned backwards and allowed myself to fall down, staring at the ceiling.

I shut my eyes but that's wasn't enough to stop the thoughts from rushing around in my mind.

Maybe if I just lie still for a while, I'll fall asleep eventually. Just shut up, stop thinking, and go to sleep.