Chapter One - Clara

Hello and Welcome to "Healing Rhythms."

I hope you enjoy this story because I certainly do.

If you have something to say leave a message and criticism is always welcome.

~ ~ ~

7:28...

7:29...

Click.

"Good morning, Baltimore! It's Monday, January 9th, 2023 and-" I slam my hand down on the alarm, silencing the radio announcer. I roll over in bed and stare at the ceiling.

"Today is a good day, Clara." I tell myself. "You're going to get up on the count of three. One," I pause, closing my eyes to get one more second of rest, "two, three." One the final second I manage to push myself into a sitting position. The black-and-white polka dot sheets I was wrapped up in fall around me as I reach out to grab my phone.

A picture of my best friend Emiliy appears along with a text: CALL ME!

Time stamped 2:47 this morning. Must have been a late night for her. I open the Reminders app and put one in to call her once the hangover has subsided. As I'm doing so a reminder comes through: New Patient Meeting - 9:45.

"Shit!" I say, throwing back the covers. I completely forgot I had a new patient coming in today. I haven't gotten a chance to read his file yet. I throw my phone down and attempt to stand. My hip gives a jolt of reminder as I crumble back down, reaching for my cane which is resting against the bedside table.

I shuffle around, quickly getting dressed in black leggings and a semi-professional blouse. By the time I get out of the bedroom my oven clock reads 8:06. My apartment is an hour away from work. I guess I'll have to eat at work.

Ah, work.

When I graduated from college seven months agoI couldn't wait to go out and start putting my skills to use. There was only one problem. No one would take me. Until one day I saw a poster on the wall at the grocery store saying the local VFW was looking for a new physical therapist. I eagerly applied and somehow got the job.

"How are you doing today Miss Clara?" Eugene, one of my patients asks as I come into the common room in search of coffee.

"I'm doing well Mr. Wilson. How are you? Are you doing your exercises?" I ask him. He shakes his head at me and chuckles.

"You sound like my wife. Always nagging." He says and then adds, " and how  many times have I told you, call me Eugene."

"About as many times as I've told you just to call me Clara." I respond, taking a sip of the heavenly caffeine. I stay to talk to Eugene for a while but when I glance at my watch it's already 9:25. I manage to get out of the room and into my office but not shortly after is there a knock at the door. Our receptionist, Sarah, enters the room.

"Good morning, Clara." She greets me. "Your patient is here." She says, and I glance at the clock on the wall. 9:30.

"He's fifteen minutes early." I say, grudgingly.

"You know how they are Clara." She smiles.

"Yeah, yeah." I say, the first time we meet I asked if there was anything to know and she told me that no matter what time the appointment is they'll be early. Always. And she's never been wrong up to this point.

"Send him in." I say with a smile and Sarah nods.

Once the door closes I rush to find his name. I flip over the file and quickly note the name before there is another knock.

Sarah pushes open the door and a young man in a wheel chair rolls into my office. I move across the room swiftly to shake his hand.

"Good morning, Sergeant Thomas."