𝟏.

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐝.

On her 11th birthday, Y/N was awakened by the sound of tapping against the window. Her eyelids fluttered against the pristine, white pillow case (it still smelled like detergent from the night before) and she blinked against the warm sunlight. The sight greeting her woke her up instantly. A majestic barn owl was blinking at her, hooting in the air, its wings flapping as if to get her attention. A letter on a string was attached to its left, slender leg. Y/N rubbed her eyes, not really believing what she was seeing. Impatient, the owl, once again, tapped the window with its beak.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming!"

Y/N hurled the duvet off her body, a million needles piercing her bare shoulders now that the cold wind swamped her up. She opened the window and the owl settled itself on her bedpost, sticking its leg to her. "Is this for me?" Y/N asked, suddenly aware that an owl was in her room. In response, the owl blinked at her and flapped its wings impatiently. "Alright, don't make too much noise! My parents are still asleep and I don't want to get into trouble. Today is my birthday, you see. And-" her voice died in her throat when she finally read what was written on the letter.

A scarlet seal was gleaming against the first rays of sunshine and a string of cursive letters were gazing back at her in emerald ink.

Miss Y/I L/N

The bright bedroom on the second floor

16, Victoria Street,

Rochester

Kent

In a flash her eyes were wide like saucers and she raised her head to look into the owl's. "Who's this from? You know, don't you?"

The owl hooted before starting to pick at its feathers out of boredom. Y/N turned the letter around, and she read outloud what was written on the other side."Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Magic? But there's no such thing as magic, is there?" Just as she said it, a boom was heard all around the house, the door from her bedroom shaking in its hinges.

Turning on her heels, still gripping the letter, she raced out of the room and down the stairs, passing the family photos hung on the walls, all the way to the front door. Nothing could have prepared her for the sight that greeted her. An eleven feet, bearded man was struggling to go through the front, cherrywood door. "Hello there!"

"Hi", replied Y/N meekly, turning to look if her parents were awakened by the commotion.

With a few more grunts, the man managed to enter the hallway, his back hunched and the door crooked. "There we go. Sorry abou' tha'. Quite a small door, isn' it?".