Set The Tone

May 1992

"Watchu got goin on, sexy

"Watchu got goin on, sexy." His voice rasped over the receiver as he shuffled around his room. He was on his way to the studio for a quick session when he received the call he was waiting on. It had been a little over a month since the pair had last seen each other. Both busy with their demanding careers and everyday life.

"Not much, work was crazy today. A man came in trying to deposit counterfeit money into his account and when he found out it wasn't real, he started cussin me the hell out." He chuckled a little.

"He was cussin you out?"

"And he got the tongue lashing of his life fuckin around wit me. Not my fault he got scammed."

"The good girl got a lil naughty! I bet you was sounding all sexy setting him straight like dat." Toya blushed at his response and cleared her throat.

" Oh please. He found out the nigga that paid him, gave him the fake ass money. He probably went and found him, I just know somebody got their ass beat today." she concluded making DeVanté cackle loudly.

"Aye, when I'm gone see you again? You been duckin a nigga out."

"Ain't nobody duckin you out. I've just been busy working."

"I'm sayin tho. We both was busy workin the last time we kicked it. You must ain't have fun wit a nigga."

"That's not true. I enjoyed your company and being let into your world."

"Why don't you let me into yo world then? You can be in control...or you scared?" he teased.

"I ain't scared of you, De." she countered, she was lying.

Toya's heart fluttering at DeVanté's teasing yet magnetic energy. She found herself caught in the thrill of his attention.

"You scared of lil ol' me." DeVanté egged on. "Or you just curious about what's behind the curtain?"

Toya chuckled softly, his words ringing true. There was an undeniable curiosity about the man behind the music, the charm, and the enigma. She longed to uncover more layers of DeVante Swing, to understand the complexity within.

"I'll consider letting you in, if you promise to behave," she quipped, her voice light but holding a hint of challenge.

"Behave? Baby, I'm always on my best behavior, scary ass." he countered with a chuckle that danced through the phone.

"Mmm, never that." she teased, picturing his mischievous grin on the other end of the line.

"Then why I aint seen yo pretty lil face in an ova a month?" he quizzed, his tone earnest.

Toya hesitated, feeling the pull of his question, but also cautious about getting entangled in the complexities of a man who seemed to carry a universe of secrets.