Prologue

TWs: Being sheltered for years. Stay safe :)

Ever since she was young, Vertin was told she was special. Special how? She didn't know. All she knew was that it was such a big deal that anyone would risk anything to get their hands on her.

Vertin had been curious about the outside world for as long as she could remember, reading about the world of arcanists and where they came from, what kind of creatures were out there, and all sorts of artifacts waiting to be discovered... but she knew she could never set foot outside, or else she'd be taken from her caretaker.

Until one day, she had overheard some of the council members talking about a new school opening up in the district, an academy just for arcanists. The teenager jumped from where she was standing behind a corner and ran towards a familiar office.

She knocked a little tune on the door, waiting for permission.

"Come in, Vertin," Constantine spoke from the other side. Vertin opened the door, peering inside to see her caretaker in the middle of a one-player chess game.

"Sorry for interrupting you, Miss." Vertin bowed her head as she crossed the floor.

"It's fine." Constantine smiled, picking up a knight, "What did you need?"

"Is it true? There's a school for arcanists opening up?" Vertin leaned forward.

Constantine nearly dropped her knight as she looked up. She cleared her throat, placing down the knight a bit harsher than necessary, "Maybe I misheard you, dear; could you repeat that?"

Vertin hesitated before opening her mouth, "An academy just for arcanists."

Constantine still held a stunned face, "Without my knowledge...?"

Madame Z, who had been organizing a few files, glanced over, "Not every school has to be registered through you, Constantine."

"All the education systems in this district are signed in my name, Madam Z."

"And why is that...?" Z gave her a pointed look.

Vertin felt tension rise in the room as they glared at each other. She decided to break it, "Can I go?"

"What?" Constantine turned to the teen.

"To the academy," Vertin spoke.

"Out of the-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer." Vertin asserted, making Constantine's eyes widen, "I want to see what it's like in the real world, to see all the colors instead of black and white."

Constantine looked at her, "You really want to see what it's like?"

"More than anything!"

The older sighed, bringing a hand up to her head, "Fine."

Vertin felt her chest well up. She smiled as she looked at her caretaker with watery eyes, "Thank you so much, Miss!"

The teenager left the room, leaving Constantine and Madam Z.

Z looked at the blonde-haired woman, noticing her pick up one of her pawns, "What are you up to?"

"What makes you think I'm up to anything?" Constantine quirked an eyebrow, "Honestly, Madam Z, you make me out to be a bad guy most times."

The brunette said nothing, leaving the room with some files in hand.

Constantine smiled, placing her pawn onto the battlefield, ripe for the taking.

Meanwhile, Vertin couldn't wait to go to an actual school with actual people. She was so sick of homeschooling.

As Vertin got ready for bed, she propped her window open and gazed at the night sky. The moon was beautiful this time of year as the leaves changed colors and the weather got colder.

She gazed at the moon with silver eyes, thinking, 'Tell me, Mr. Man in the Moon, will I make friends?'

There was silence as Vertin felt a cold chill rush down her back. She reeled, promptly closing the window.

'Right, I should go to bed... big day tomorrow.' Vertin nodded to herself, flicking her lights off before going to sleep.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧NOTE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

I got obsessed with the game, and then *ships* happened...

I'll be more inclined to focus on the characters I have collected in the game already, and then some characters I feel I know their personalities already (such as Diggers).