Some are nice

TWs: Anxiousness/nervousness. Stay safe :)

There Vertin stood, facing the stony entrance with a metal overhang. The sign in cursive read Arcanum Aeternum.

She tightened her grip on her suitcase, feeling jittery as she took it all in. The path that had been established months previously, the trees that were planted about, their leaves changing colors, and some falling. It was still early fall. Vertin loved the fall; it was much quieter.

She heard quiet footsteps join her. She glanced over, peering up at Madam Z.

"You didn't have to come with me." Vertin frowned.

"I know, I was just ensuring you would get here safely." She spoke, her eyes enjoying the scenery, "I hope you have a good time, Vertin."

The teen nodded, "Don't worry, Ms. Z. There's always Winter break."

Z smiled, "I'll see you then. Goodbye."

"Bye, Miss." Vertin waved, watching her leave.

Vertin turned back towards the school entrance, taking a deep breath, 'First things first... orientation.'

She took a step through the gate, feeling a wave of nervousness. Vertin seemed to realize something as she gazed at the other students hanging around the entrance.

These people were Arcanists. She wasn't like them. She didn't have any powers. She was told she was special, containing something within her, yet she had no idea what it was. Did she even belong here? Could she even fit in?

"Woof... woof!"

Vertin perked up, glancing beside her to see a black and white border collie sitting next to her.

PICKLES - Afflatus: Mineral - Damage Type: Mental - DPS; Support; Dispeller

"The puppy is concerned." A gadget connected to its goggles spoke.

"You... want to know if I'm okay?" Vertin tilted her head.

The dog seemed to nod, wagging its tail, "Woof."

"Oh, I'm alright. Thank you, though." Vertin reached out to pet the dog.

"Pickles? Where a- Ah, there you are!" A guy with long curly hair ran up to them, "We're going to be late for orientation, and you know how Melania is."

DIGGERS - Afflatus: Plant - Damage Type: Mental - Control; Shield; Debuff

"Woof! Woof..." The dog, Pickles, replied. "The puppy understands."

"Sorry about Pickles. He's remarkably intuitive." The stranger spoke, "Only arcanist dog that we know of so far. He's a special breed."

"Woof..." Pickles huffed. "The puppy feels discontent."

"Yeah, we should go before Melania freaks out on us..." The man tsked, "Come on, Pickles."

The curly-haired stranger walked away, Pickles about to follow. The border collie tilted his head at Vertin, almost knowing she was still feeling nervous.

"Woof... woof, woof!" Pickles wagged his tail. "The puppy is encouraging you."

Vertin's eyes widened, 'Huh?'

Pickles ran off, leaving the silver-eyed girl standing there. The girl hummed, clutching her suitcase in her hand.

'What a peculiar dog...' She thought, 'Anyway, Pickles is right. I need to be brave.'