3

I followed Bakugo several yards out until we couldn't see the cave any longer.

"So how much wood should we collect?" I said, starting to pick up some dry looking sticks. Bakugo smacked the wood out of my hands. I jumped back.

"Who are you?" He growled.

"What? I told you, I'm-"

"I'm not buying your poor-little-lost-girl routine." Bakugo growled. "You a witch hunter? Did one hire you to follow us?"

"No! I told you the truth! My name is Tem. I'm a witch, and I've never even heard of a witch hunter before."

He narrowed his red eyes at me. "Bullshit. You expect me to believe that you have never heard of a witch hunter? How would that even be possible?"

I shrugged. "My family lived in the woods. Aside from the occasional  trip to market, I hardly left home. My parents never told me anything about witch hunters."

Bakugo regarded me for a moment. "I'm going to believe this story for now." He stepped close enough that I could feel his breath on my face. "But if I find out that you're lying, and you try to hurt any of my friends, I will personally kill you slowly and painfully."

I could only stare at him, too afraid to move.

He turned away from me. "Just collect as much wood as you can carry."

I continued to watch as he picked up various sticks. It astounded me how he could carry on as if he hadn't just threatened me with torture and death. It wasn't as though I was so sheltered that I wasn't aware of how dangerous people could be. I had seen people fight and argue during market days, but no one had ever spoken to me that way before. It was new feeling and I didn't like it.

"Are you going to remain useless, or are you going to help me?"

I jumped at Bakugo's voice and hurriedly started gathering the sticks that were nearest to me. Out of the corner of my eye I caught him smirking at me. The only thing I hated more than being afraid of Bakugo, was Bakugo knowing that I was afraid of him.

I couldn't have been happier when we got back to that cave so that I could be around people that weren't Bakugo. He piled his wood up on one side of the cave, then went to work preparing some food. Shoto took my armful of wood and Ochako stole me away to help her mend one of the sleep mats.

"So, how long did it take for him to try to scare you off?" she asked me.

My eyes widened. "What?"

Ochako chuckled. "Bakugo is extremely distrustful. I'm not sure if there's anyone he trusts completely. He hates all strangers, so don't take anything he says too personally."

"I assume his bark is worse than his bite?"

Ochako pursed her lips. "Umm, no. Bakugo will absolutely follow through if he needs to—and if we don't stop him." She used her teeth to cut the thread she was using. "There. Good as knew." She gave me a smile, showing no sign that she has just implied that her travel companion had the capacity to kill me. What the hell was with these people?

                                                                                           ***

I got the opportunity to talk with the others more while we waited for dinner. I hadn't really gotten to interact with Kaminari much, but he seemed sweet. He did try to hit on me, which I did not care for, but I let it slide because his come-ons were so pitiful. Jiro rolled her eyes.

"He's desperate, but harmless." she told me.

"I'm not desperate! I only have interest in the most attractive people, and Tem here meets that criteria."