Metal Monsters (TFP)--Part 1

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

Blinking once, I looked at my friend who was standing in the doorway to the room, her arms crossed.

I raised an eyebrow, continuing to fold the shirt in my hands.

"Um, hello?" She stepped into the room. "Have you lost your mind?"

Calmly I placed the shirt inside my red suitcase and then zipped it shut.

Huffing, my comrade stormed over and collapsed on my bed in front of me. "Amalia Jennifer Benson. I'm talking to you."

With a sigh, I plopped the suitcase on the ground. Then I sat down on my comforter and put my hands on top of my friend's. "Laci. It's only for the summer. My Aunt could use the help. She needs me."

"All this fuss just because of a baby,"" Laci Turner said bitterly.

I tilted my head. "Laci, you know that isn't fair. My Aunt needs the help ..."

My mother's younger sister just gave birth to her third child—a beautiful baby girl. While the baby was three months old my aunt needed help over the summer caring for baby Emery as the other kids would be home from school and my uncle was on a big construction project in the city. .

"But Amalia, Jasper is so far away!" Luci ground, falling backwards on my bed. She stared up at the ceiling. "You'll be on the other side of the world."

With a smile at her dramatics I rolled my eyes at the girl's antics-we had practically grown up together-were babysat together as toddlers-went to high school together-went through graduation together-.

"Luci, I'll be back before you know it," Tossing my short wavy black hair over my shoulder, I picked up a pillow quietly and squished it in my hands. "Plus you can come visit me in Nevada-it's very warm there."

"Hmph," Luci shut her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

Grinning, I picked up my pillow and tossed it at her face. The girl let out a gasp. "Pillow fight!" she shrieked, throwing the plush fabric back at me. Her aim not being the greatest, she hit the bed table and knocked my lamp over.

There was a crash as the glass shattered.

"Girls, what is going on in there?" a stern voice called from the room next door.

"Nothing mom, just getting ready to go," I called back. Looking at Luci I tried to keep a serious face. Both of us ended up bursting out laughing. Ah, how good it felt to be free and young.

******************************************

"I just wanna stay in the sun where I find

I know it's hard sometimes....."

"...Pieces of peace in the sun's peace of mind

I know it's hard sometimes," I sang along with Twenty One pilots.

The desert scenery zoomed by as my blue mustang rolled on. Even with the roof up I could feel the sun beating down-Luci was definitely going to love it here.

Abruptly there was a sputtering-smoke that began to rise from the hood of my car.

"Shit," Swearing under my breath, I pulled the car over on the side of the empty desert road. I put my blinkers on though I had not passed another car in miles.

"This is great, just great," I groaned, clambering out of my car. I opened the hood and instantly smoke spewed everywhere. Coughing, I waved my hand. Lovely, how lovely. My engine was deciding to fail me just when I was a few miles from my destination.