Chapter Two ☆

"You squint hard enough, and everything starts to look suspicious."

One hunded and nineteen, one hundred and twenty...
Nyxa paused, thinking. Maybe she should make it a hundred and seventy instead.
Before she knew it,
One hundred and sixty-eight, one hundred and sixty-nine, one hundred and seventy.
Again, a pause. Maybe two hundred-

Letting out a helpless groan and rolling facedown into the mattress, Nyxa let out a muffled chorus of self pitying sounds until she ran out of air. Then she rolled back over with as much dignity as she could muster- which was a lot, at least that's what she told herself.

Throwing herself forward, Nyxa trudged to her table. Sitting there much like they were a week ago, untouched and annoyingly... well, annoying, were the papers she'd been sent. She plopped down with all the grace of a gnome and stared at them. Well not the papers exactly, more so the area of space they occupied. Nyxa didn't really look at the papers themselves.
She sat like that for ten minutes, eyes glazed over.

Suddenly deciding this decision required too much brainpower right now- something she had less of than usual, Nyxa thought she'd have better fun sleeping. Moving the few steps to her couch and flopping down, she immediately felt better.
S

he'd deal with the papers later.

____

Later came and she hadn't dealt with the papers.

"Yes, yes. Mhm. I know that, Lyon. Yes, you're allowed to tell BeanStalk that- Wolf's on duty right now so you're reporting to him."
Another five minutes passed-- conversation pretty much unchanging-- before Nyxa could cut the call. She already felt as that one phone call pushed a familiar weight onto her shoulders. One that had begun to slowly suffocate her.

Her body and mind felt so tired, but she slowly moved back to the table with the papers on it. They'd been delivered a week back and Nyxa still hadn't figured out how she felt. A part of her wanted to take the offer... but the other part of her- who was always firm in the decision to stick things out and see them through- well, that part was fighting the first part.

They were official papers from the L.I.N.D- Liberty Intelligence and Nuclear Division- and the rank she'd been offered as an agent wasn't low... not by a long shot.

Nyxa sighed, massaging the back of her neck. She'd been the Chief of police for this city for two years now and it had been one of the best parts of her life... but she was exhausted.
A large part of her felt guilty for even thinking about resigning, she'd been offered the position at twenty-four which was a feat near impossible, but she'd done it. That was another reason she worried. Phoenix was the safest and most powerful city in Liberty. It had been named their capital a year back and renamed Phoenix to signify the way it had transformed to what it now was. Nyxa knew she was a huge part of that transformation, probably the biggest. So surely it was okay to hand the mantel and pressure over now?

But what if the next person screwed it up and all her hard work and everyone else's who'd been involved had been for nothing?

But this- The L.I.N.D... it was a huge career opportunity. Yes, being Chief was huge too, but that was talking city.
L.I.N.D was the country. And Liberty was openly acknowledged as one of the most powerful countries in the world.

It was right then that a message came through- Kienna. Nyxa ignored the other messages she saw, all to do with work. She pretended that the sparks of anxiety she felt when she looked at them weren't there and instead focused on Kie.