Chapter VIII: Memories

Dean groaned, sinking into his office swivel chair. He covered his face with his hands, sliding them down before finally looking up at the ceiling. As he navigated the stresses of work, the weight of reality pressed upon him. Kaitlyn, his wife, had vanished, leaving behind only divorce papers and fragments of Ashenwood's assets.

The perplexity of her sudden disappearance lingered, leaving no breadcrumbs for him to follow. Amidst the jigsaw puzzle of emotions, Dean acknowledged his shortcomings. He'd brought other women into their shared space, a home that once held the warmth of friendship. Now, in the aftermath of her absence, he couldn't escape the realization that, deep down, he still cared.

With a heavy sigh, he let his mind drift to simpler times, recalling high school days when Kaitlyn's gestures of friendship stood out amidst the transient romances. She'd approach him like a clingy girlfriend, offering homemade meals, sharing her happy thoughts, and extending invitations to her house. In those uncomplicated moments, their connection felt genuine, a stark contrast to the fleeting relationships that had come and gone. As Dean grappled with the complexities of the present, he couldn't help but yearn for the simplicity of those memories.

During their high school days, Dean's athletic prowess drew attention on the playing field, and Kaitlyn consistently played the role of his unwavering cheerleader.

"You're here again, huh? Don't you have better things to do?" Dean smirks, walking his way to Kaitlyn, who was holding a bottle of water.

Kaitlyn grins, offering the water to Dean. "Nope, you're my top priority, Mr. All-Star. What's the point of having a childhood friend who's a sports prodigy if I don't cheer for him?"

Dean rolls his eyes, taking the water. "Sports prodigy? You're exaggerating."

Kaitlyn playfully pokes his arm. "Maybe a little, but you're still pretty amazing."

Dean smirks. "Well, who am I to argue with that? Thanks for being my cheerleader."

Kaitlyn smiles. "Always, Dean. You focus on scoring goals; I'll focus on cheering you on. Even if I have to sneak in some study breaks."

Dean's gaze shifts, noticing a girl on the bleachers. "Look at her, Kait. Isn't she something?"

Kaitlyn's heart sinks silently, the unspoken pain etching across her face. She had long harbored feelings for Dean, and his casual admiration for someone else stung.

Dean noticing Kaitlyn's expression asks, "Hey, are you okay?"

Kaitlyn forces a smile, concealing the ache within. "Yeah, sure. She's something."

Dean grins confidently, his eyes fixed on the girl on the bleachers. "I'm gonna make her mine in three days, just you watch."

Kaitlyn, despite the ache in her heart, manages to muster a laugh, adding a mocking tone to mask her pain. "Oh? Three days? You work fast, Mr. Casanova. Better bring your A-game."

Dean chuckles, seemingly unaware of the turmoil beneath Kaitlyn's laughter. "You bet I will. Just wait and see."

As the cheers from the field echoed around them, an unspoken sadness lingered in the air, the simplicity of their high school days clouded by the complexities of unrequited love.

As Dean's mind lingered in the corridors of the past, a knock on his office door jolted him back to the present. The door creaked open, revealing a familiar figure—the lover from that fateful night, the night he last saw his wife.

Jane, the alluring brunette, entered the room with a flirtatious air. "Miss me, Dean?"

Dean, burdened by recent events, looked wearily at her. "Not now. I've got enough on my plate."

Undeterred, Jane leaned in, insisting, "Come on, let me take your mind off things."

Dean, usually receptive to such advances, remained distant. "It's not that simple."

Growing frustrated, Jane argued, "You've been like this ever since your wife left. It's been a month, Dean. Move on. She's probably long gone by now."

Dean, feeling the weight of her words, defended Kaitlyn. "Don't talk about her like that. She's not just someone I can easily forget."

Jane was angered and lashed out with insults about Kaitlyn's simplicity. "Why stick to that plain Jane when you can have someone like me?"

Dean, unwilling to engage in such discourse, stated firmly, "I need time, Jane. Please respect that."

Jane's frustration reached a boiling point. "Isn't this what you wanted, Dean? A divorce? So we could finally be together?"

Dean, caught off guard, responded, "It's not that simple, Jane. I never wanted things to end this way."

Jane, raising her voice, countered, "Well, she's gone now. Why the frustration? We've planned for this, and now that Kaitlyn's finally out of the picture, why aren't you giving me the attention I deserve?"

Feeling the weight of her accusations, he asserted, "I need time to sort things out, Jane. It's not as easy as you think."

With a sharp tone, Jane shot back, "You begged for this, Dean. Don't act like you didn't. So why the hesitation now?"

Frustration building, he retorted, "This is not how I wanted it. I never wanted Kaitlyn to leave like this. It's complicated, and I need time to deal with it."

Jane, now visibly angry, shouted, "You've been stringing me along for months, saying you'd leave her. And now that she's gone, you're acting like I don't matter."

Attempting to keep his composure, Dean explained, "It's not about you not matter. Kaitlyn was my friend for years. This isn't easy for me."

Jane, dismissively, said, "Friend? You're supposed to be with me now. We planned this, Dean. You're just making excuses."

Dean, overwhelmed by the escalating tension, finally demanded, "Jane, you need to leave. I can't deal with this right now."

Jane, fueled by anger, refused to comply. "You're not pushing me away, Dean. We were supposed to be together!"

As Dean stood firm in his request, Jane's frustration exploded. She grabbed nearby objects, throwing them with force, shattering the calm of the room. Papers scattered, and the sound of breaking items echoed through the space.

Dean, shocked by the sudden outburst, repeated, "Jane, just go."

Ignoring his plea, Jane continued her destructive outburst, a chaotic manifestation of her internal turmoil. The room bore the scars of their heated exchange as she stormed out, leaving Dean to grapple with the aftermath of a relationship unraveling before his eyes.

Dean sighs, the weight of regret settling heavily on his shoulders. Thoughts of searching for Kaitlyn swirled in his mind, but he had no clue where to begin. When he found out days ago about the truth, it hit him hard—the five days Kaitlyn was distant and occupied were the days she mourned his father-in-law's death.

Recalling the image of Kaitlyn in mourning, dressed in black and visibly distressed, Dean couldn't shake off the regret. He had insulted her during a time of profound grief, unaware of the pain she was going through. Guilt gnawed at him for not realizing the depth of her sorrow and for adding to her burden instead of offering support.

Frustration welled up within Dean as he grappled with the realization that his father-in-law's health had worsened without his knowledge, ultimately leading to his sudden death. The weight of regret bore down on him, questioning why Kaitlyn had chosen to keep such a significant and painful secret from him.

Dean, massaging his temples, replayed the moments when Kaitlyn had been silent about her father's deteriorating health. He couldn't fathom why she chose to bear the burden alone, leaving him in the dark about the gravity of the situation. The regret intensified, painting a picture of missed opportunities to offer support during a crucial time.