Chapter 1 - St Albans

"Well, that's it" I take a big deep breath, post the keys through the door, take a step back and have one last look at the house I have lived all my life. Replaying all the memories in my mind, the good, the bad and the ugly. A single tear slowly rolling down my cheek.

"We will see you down there then love" My thoughts interrupted by the removal guy

"Yeah, see you there" I smile back, one last look up at the house, wondering whether I would live to regret this decision but also excited at what the next chapter in my life has in store.

——

"Sorry love, health & safety and all that"

I look aimlessly at the boxes and bags piled up in the foyer of the apartment block, questioning my decision of choosing an apartment on the 8th floor.

"Thanks anyway" I smile as the removal man places the last box down "Great" I mumble to myself, looking at the boxes, hoping they would magically disappear and reappear on the 8th floor. But no.

Over an hour later I slump myself on top of one of the boxes as I finally place the last box down outside of my new apartment door, silently wondering to myself why I didn't put them inside the apartment as I hauled them up here in the first place. Ok there is a lift, but my apartment is also the furthest away from the lift, and the boxes were heavy. Thankful that despite my small frame, i'm stronger than I look.

My tired thoughts, after the long drive down, and the hauling of my things all the way up here briefly interrupted as I hear the sounds of laughter coming from down the hall, I take a second to glance up as I notice three women walk around the corner and head down the hall in the opposite direction. Unable to stop my lips curling into a smile at the sound of laughter, but I can't sit here forever, I stand up, turn around to face the mountain of boxes, hands on my hips, giving myself an internal pep talk to get them inside the apartment.

I hear the sound of voices from down the hall, assuming it's still the same three women I just saw. I open my door and slide a box in front to prop it open, the twinge in my back screaming at me as I lug the first box inside.

"Are you alright?" I hear a strong scottish accent from behind, as I spin around, a tall women stands just outside in the hall, a soft friendly smile on her face, her brown curly hair tied up in a bun on the top of her head.

"Hiya, yeah all good thank you" I smile, my face probably all red, my hair practically stuck to my head, dressed in some old gym leggings and a loose, baggy T-shirt. Not the best first impression.

"Are you just moving in? Do you want a hand" She asks, she seems very polite and friendly

"Oh. It's ok, I can manage, thank you" My internal monologue saying the opposite as it pleads with me to accept the help offered.

"Did you bring all this up here yourself?" She asks, looking me up and down, probably wondering how a small girl like me managed to get all of this up here

"I might be small...but I'm mighty!" I chuckle "Health & safety apparently" I roll my eyes

"Jeez, let us help" The brunette starts picking up one of the boxes

"Is that a fellow Yorkshire accent I can hear?" Another voice appears from the corridor, the sound of a fellow Yorkie accent warming my heart

"Ey up duck" I laugh, confirming I am indeed from Yorkshire, before stepping outside of the apartment into the hall, confronted by a small, blonde women

"Hiya, I'm Beth" She flashes a huge friendly smile

"Ali" I smile

"Sorry, I'm Jen" The brown curly haired women reappears out of my apartment, ready to pick up another box