Prologue

"Wake up— 5:30! Wake up— 5:30! Wake up— 5:30! Wake up— 5:30!"

A young man stirred slightly and gently turned off the alarm. He slipped into his slippers and shuffled his way to the shrine room— he gave three bows— touching the doorknob to the bathroom, he quickly washed his hands— then silently made his way to the kitchen where he opened the fridge and reheated his dinner from the previous night.

Ding

Taking the soggy rice and chewy meat, out of the microwave, yet again he washed his hands, he shuffles to the table, bowing, before turning on the television, and organized his forks and knife cutlery.

Ms. Suzuki: "Hello and good morning, this is Naomi Suzuki, it is a beautiful day today a balmy 43 degrees in Osaka today— clear skies, however a warm jacket will help— Yoshi Mashiba I heard there is some big news today in the gaming industry— Mr. Mashiba?"

Mr. Mashiba: "Yes Naomi, today will be the official launch of the new game Sword Art Online. It is the very first Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, otherwise known as a VRMMORPG. Yes today at 1:00 PM, the 10,000 lucky players, 9,000 hard copy gamers and the 1,000 beta testers, get a chance to put on the recently released NerveGear, and dive into this once in a lifetime experience. We now go to Kenji Tsao and the creator of Sword Art Online and the NerveGear, Akihiko Kayaba,"

The young man turned up the television.

Mr. Tsao: "So, Mr. Kayaba, you're saying that this device can transport your own senses into a whole new world?"

The 28 year old, tech entrepreneur and genius, steps towards the microphone, adjusting his tie.

Akihiko Kayaba: "Hello everyone, thank you for your time. My team and I have worked on this for the past five years, throughout our time developing this project, we really want to make a good first impression on the full dive side of gaming, not only for hardcore gamers, but for the general community, and more importantly, the world as well."

Mr. Tsao: "So what are the limits of this game?"

Akihiko Kayaba: "Well as of right now, the limit is just magic, this is not a magic based RPG like we've seen in the past like the classic World of Warcraft games. The character, you, will be able to use skills in order to make your character unique. From a fishing skill to the most common, sword skills."

Mr. Tsao: "That is interesting, my son, Yuji, has gotten a copy of your game, Sword Art Online, what can you say to the gamers that in just a few hours will dive into your new world?"

Kayaba turns, looking straight at the screen, smirking.

Akihiko Kayaba: "Welcome to my world."