Unforgettable Nights and Unexpected Sparks

It's finally 8:30 pm, and I booked a cab to my boss's house. On the way to Kevin's home, I was texting Ajay with a smile on my face. I had just realized that Ajay and I had been texting so much and started blushing. As I arrived there, I saw Ajay waiting outside Kevin's bungalow for me. I waved at Ajay and he waved back. He tried to shake my hand but I thought he was going for a hug and ended up hugging him. He then said, "I was going for a handshake but I guess this is better". We ended up smiling at each other and headed inside to the party. Kevin is a 34-year-old divorcee. He is a highly successful businessman and is very rich. I think he has a slight crush on me as he has given me a lot of hints in the past months but he doesn't act on it as his marriage just got over. He sarcastically asked Ajay and me if we were together making us extremely uncomfortable. I replied, "Haha no sir, we don't date colleagues now, do we?". Hearing me say that, I felt a disappointment in both their faces. Kevin took us to his own private bar and offered us a couple of drinks and said "What's a party without a couple of drinks guys?" I then asked the bartender for a scotch on the rock with a twist, Ajay proceeded to say "Same here". With the pressure I was under, I didn't stop drinking.

Ajay: I think that's enough drinks for you mam.

Nisha: *Drunken tone* I need more, I am under a lot of stress you know and please don't call me ma'am. Think of me as your friend and tell me about yourself now.

Ajay *sarcastically*: I thought we were done with the interview already.

We shared a moment of laughter and proceeded to talk about how frustrating each of our lives was. I slowly fell asleep as I was too drunk. It was 12 AM already and there was no way I could get home by myself. Believe it or not, the next day I woke up at Ajay's home. I groaned as I woke up. I didn't know where I was, "rough night?" he asked. I said, "You have no idea". I checked my mobile for any texts or missed calls very well knowing that my dad was furious and he was going to kill me for sure. 9+ missed calls from Dad and my mom texted me asking where I was and that my dad was very mad. Ajay came up to me and said I drove you here because I didn't know where you lived and don't worry you slept here and I slept on the couch in my hall. I thanked him and hurried myself to my home. I was mentally prepared to face the drama at home. As soon as I entered my home, Dad started asking where I was and this is not how a 23-year-old girl must behave. I said, "Can't I blow off some steam? I crashed at a friend's place after the party". He kept shouting "This is not the way a daughter from our family behaves Nisha". But I stayed calm for my mom as she gave me signals to ignore him. So I did. I took a shower put on my suit and got ready for the office. It felt kind of weird for me to face Ajay at the office because I was scared I said something to him that I shouldn't have while I was drunk. I entered the building, got on the elevator, clicked on the 5th floor, and prayed to god that no one would see me upstairs until I went inside my office. The minute I went inside my office and locked the door I heard someone knock on it, I opened the door and it was Ajay. I asked him to come on in. I said, "I am sorry if I caused any trouble yesterday, I don't remember anything after the drinks". He replied with his rough charming voice "It's not an issue, although you were quite a chatterbox yesterday".

I asked, "Oh no, what did I say?"

Ajay; Don't worry, just some funny stories about work and life. Nothing scandalous.

We ended up laughing about the previous night and as I was about to ask him to go work, I heard the most amazing words come out of his mouth "You wanna go out for a coffee and laugh about yesterday?" I was stunned for a few seconds and I replied "Sure, let's do it". We headed to the cafe coffee day near our office and sat opposite to each other. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine, there was no denying that the both of us felt a spark there. So I asked him about his plans for his future. He replied something that almost broke my heart "I am saving money to go study abroad and earn a lot more". That's when I asked myself "How is it possible that it feels like you are breaking my heart, and I haven't even had you yet?" I masked my misery with a smile. I replied, "Good luck with that, I really hope you succeed". So when do you plan to leave? I asked. In a year probably, he said.I consoled myself by saying there is still a year's time, so why lose hope?