A Dream?

Clara's heart pounded in her chest, her throat was burning, her feet hurt and her mind was in a terrified muddle. "I can't let that thing catch up to me!" she thought.

The noise was so loud, it rumbled through the dark leafy forest, making birds fly out from their perches in the trees.

Clara stumbled and fell. The roaring came again, closer this time.

She picked herself up and kept running.

Clara broke through the trees and into a small clearing. on the other side of the clearing was a rocky cave.

"I can hide in there!" she thought, running in.

Clara squinted around the cave, trying to find a nook or crannie where she could hide. She spotted a small ledge halfway up the wall, hidden in the shadows.

Clara scrambled up, reaching for hand holds. She only just had enough time to hide herself in the shadows of the ledge, when the terrifying roar came from outside the cave.

The creature that entered the cave scared Clara half to death.

It resembled a lion, only it was there times the size of a normal one. Muscles rippled all over it's Sandy coloured body, a thick, glossy mane flowed down to it's hulking shoulders. The giant lion let out a low, rumbling growl, heavy clawed paws scratched the ground as it walked.

Clara silently shifted her position, sending bits of crumbled rock down to the ground. The monstrous lion stopped walking. Clara held her breath, terrified that it was going to find her. It looked her straight in the eye with glowing green eyes. She let out a blood curdling scream and saw a flash of white fangs.

Clara woke with a start, and found herself lying in bed, drenched with sweat.

"It was just a dream" she thought, wiping her sweaty forehead.

Clara sat up and looked out the window.

"I'm safe" she said to herself.

Lightning flashed outside, thunder boomed. A shiver swept down her spine, the thunder sounded so much like the lions roar.

Clara got up and walked to the window, pressing her forehead against the cool glass. She closed her eyes and slowed her breathing.

"Just go back to sleep" she thought.

Clara opened her eyes, only to see two green glowing eyes glaring back at her.