Chapter 2

𝐋𝐨𝐮𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐚 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐈𝐃
𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟:
𝐂𝐨𝐡𝐥𝐞, 𝐑𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫
𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥 𝟐𝟔, 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟐
_____

The camera now focused on a man in his early fifties, a sunken face framed with long hair streaked with gray. He looked as if he had spent the entire day on the street and in need of a shower, his hair textured and slightly greasy. The man, Cohle, cleared his throat, a gravelly voice filling the room.

"Dora Lange. The "Occult Ritual Murder". You thank The Advertiser for that."

Cohle began to light a cigarette.

"Could you hold off..."

"You can't do that in here no more."

The detectives behind the camera protested calmly but quickly. They were already seemingly annoyed with the man before them.

Cohle spoke with the cigarette in his mouth before taking a long drag. "Don't be assholes. You wanna hear this or not?"

This was clearly a man who knew his power and that what he had to say was good. A mug slides into frame where the ashes of the cigarette were tapped inside by the long fingers of the holder.

"Vermilion sheriff requested assistance with the 419, cane fields outside of Erath. I'd been on the job about three months til then, two previous cases were open and shut. It was January the third, 1995. My daughter's birthday. I remember."

"And the day you got another partner."

Cohle paused and then nodded. "That's right." He seemed lost for a moment before coming back to the present. "Arrived shortly after Marty and I did. Surprised us both."