𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

} 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙱𝚒𝚛𝚍 𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚐 {

The man finally left when the boy passed out cold

The man finally left when the boy passed out cold. He didn't even look her way as he walked out and locked the door before leaving.

She let out a breath of relief she didn't even know she was holding. She was grateful the man ignored her and didn't do the same thing he did to the boy.

She quickly went back to trying to get out of her handcuffs. She took off her necklace, a cross that her sister-in-law got for Christmas one year,  and put it between her teeth before pulling her hands closer to her face so she could try and pick the lock.

She tried and tried but kept on failing to unlock it. Now tears stung her eyes and she had trouble seeing. she dropped the necklace into her hand and let her head fall back and rest on the wooden wall.

She just stared up at the ceiling of the shed, watching the light dancing around as she controlled her breathing. She's been having to do that a lot. Controlling her breathing. In through her nose, out through her mouth.

All the stress she's been having to endure for the past months has taken a toll on her body and mind. She's only had three panic attacks pre-apocalypse. She usually had Bowie with her to help her out of them.

Bowie was her favorite sibling and she was his, or that's what he told her. Their older brother wasn't the best person and they tended to stay clear of him. It helped that Bowie and Tatum were about 10 years younger than him so they didn't have much in common.

---------------

"Bow, Bowie please I need your help with something" Tatum stomped her way upstairs and busted into her brother's room.

He looked up from his newest Lego set to his sister who stood in his doorway with something in her hand. He set it down and raised an eyebrow at her, "yes Tate, come on in '' he said sarcastically.

"Oh yeah, sorry I should have knocked" Tatum sat down at the end of the bed and laid down her papers in front of Bowie.

"Anyways, I need your help. Mr. Peele is making us put on a play and it's Hamilton and she gave me the part of Elisa '' Bowie smiled at the excitement radiating off his little sister.

"Ok, so what do you want me to do" She handed him a small stack of papers that had the script of the Angelica, he just rolled his eyes playfully and stood up.

He practiced with her for two weeks. Every day after school, either in Bowie's room or in Tatum's. Bowie even canceled hangouts with his friends to help his sister.

Now they were standing backstage in the middle school. Tatum was in her dress with Bowie finishing up her hair. "Okay, all done" Bowie turned Tatum around by her shoulders but noticed her chest moving rapidly and sweat plastered on her forehead.