Valedictorian

Lizabeth Joy:

May 25th we all left walking in heels. Before that night, we had been staying up until three in the morning. Some were studying, others were just wasting time. Most of us didn't care anymore, we all gave up on the idea of succeeding. Only one person would be valedictorian, but multiple people were trying to get that recognition.

Alexis Prescott did everything she could to be valedictorian. Alexis Prescott had many friends, maybe everyone was her friend. For Prom, she wore a blue dress and I loved it. Of course, she was Prom queen, even I voted for her. She was so happy, she almost cried but she didn't, that would have ruined her makeup. Everyone was cheering for her, she deserved it. She's been wanting to be prom queen since freshmen year. I promised her freshman year that I would vote for her. I kept my promise and so did others.

Prom night was probably a blast for her, she really enjoyed herself. She was about to leave prom but I reached her beforehand. I asked her for a picture to remember that night. Alexis Prescott went home and slept. I knew she wouldn't stay up late, she had to babysit the next morning. Alexis Prescott was your average good girl, she had everything. Soon enough she would have been valedictorian.

Michael:

Do you always refer to your friend as Alexis Prescott? I've noticed you said her last name every time. Is there a reason for that?

Lizabeth Joy:

Oh sorry, I just thought it would be more professional for me to say her full name. As I was saying, she was... perfect. That's why her death really impacted everyone. Her death hurt me the most out of everyone. I'm sure you can understand what I'm going through, I lost my best friend. Everyone showed up to school that morning excited. We thought everything was going to be normal. It was a rehearsal for graduation day but I was still a little nervous.

We were about to start the rehearsal but we noticed Alexis was missing. The girl with perfect attendance was nowhere to be found. She knew she had to practice her speech. Keep in mind she's very responsible, yet she never showed up. We were all in shock, then suddenly Sabrina got a phone call. Then Danielle's phone rang too. That's how we found out Alexis was missing, her mom called Alexis' friends asking if they knew where she was.

Michael:

Why didn't Alexis's mom ever call you? You stated that you were Alexis' best friend, I imagine if I were the mom I would call her best friend first.

Lizabeth Joy:

Her mom doesn't have my number. If she had it, she would've called me before anyone else. I was so worried and scared for Alexis. She was supposed to give her speech.

Michael:

Can you explain what you did when you found out Alexis was missing?

Lizabeth Joy:

I started freaking out and I tried calling her multiple times.

Michael:

Your phone records don't show that. You didn't call her that day or the previous day. You have no text messages with Alexis either. Have you ever had a phone conversation with Alexis?

Lizabeth Joy:

Well, she never gave me her number. I once did a school project with her but we never talked outside of school.

Michael:

So you didn't have any form of contact with your best friend?

Lizabeth Joy:

Ok, detective, I understand you guys are doing your best to find out what happened to Alexis but I have no clue. There's nothing I can do to help you guys, I'm just an old friend of Alexis.

Michael:

Anything you say will help us. Lizabeth, how do you know about Alexis' plans? How'd you know about her babysitting job as well?

Lizabeth Joy:

She posts pictures of her and the kid she babysits on social media. Alexis was talking about her plans during class and I overheard.

Michael:

Alexis was reported missing at 2 am by Mrs. Prescott. Mrs. Prescott contacted her friends the next morning around 8 am, the same time your class was at the graduation rehearsal. Alexis never came home Monday night. You said only one person could be valedictorian but multiple people were trying. You're one of those people who tried. You knew you were second place in line to be the "best". How did it make you feel when you found out Alexis was giving the valedictorian speech?

Lizabeth Joy:

I was happy for her, really! I knew all along it was going to be her. I accepted that and I went with it. It had no effect on me.

Michael:

I'm having a hard time believing you. I believe you were so devastated and angry. You had been dreaming of being valedictorian your whole life, while Alexis had been wanting to be prom queen. I can think of what you did to Lizabeth. I think you envied her so much you didn't even let her practice her speech in front of the class. You absolutely hated the idea of her taking your place and being valedictorian. The only solution in your head was to get rid of her. Is this right?

Lizabeth Joy:

She didn't deserve to be valedictorian, she didn't deserve anything.