Chapter One

Tes couldn't see much through the thick fog, but she kept going forward nonetheless. She didn't know why she wished to go in the direction of this dangerous unknown,  but something called her in the mist. Not a voice calling, but a feeling, one that cut her like a knife through the clouded path. High canyons loomed overhead on both sides, leaving only two directions to run in if she was met with anything that would pose a threat, Back in the direction she came, or into the mouth
of an unknown and unfamiliar danger.

Her footsteps echoed as she kept walking at a steady pace. Suddenly a shadow appeared a dozen or so feet in front of her, unmoving cold, face hidden. Her breath caught itself in her throat as she stopped dead in her tracks, every haif standing on end. The silence continued however for an unbearable moment, neither her or the shadow being able to say anything. Tes finally couldn't bear it any longer and took a step backwards slowly and silently, perhaps more as an instinct than any hope of getting away. She began to breath again, but only a moment before the figure, like a strike of lightning,had ignigted a streak of red blaze and rushed at Tes, who had
no time to even react before dropping lifeless to the floor.

Vandar. A Highly populated and advanced city, in the midst of the new republic's territory. This city was home to one of the major republic headquarters. While there was little poverty, it was often viewed as a hotspot for political crisis. Since it acted as an embassy for many subcategories within the republic, there were often small internal conflicts, most left unresolved. It was within this city that Eli Candor  a republic ambassador worked. He had been recently hired after his predecessor, quite mysterious and suddenly disappeared, or as it was stated more publicly, retired early. He had already sorted through a few small issues but that was barely a chip off the iceberg, and today he was hoping to resolve a bigger issue.

"So you see, it could have only been the Ionians. They were the only ones with opportunities and motives to steal our prototype."  The Adarian finished passionately as he punctuated his speech with a loud slam on the table, quickly jerking Eli (who had quite visibly zoned out minutes ago) back to life. His assistant looked at him worriedly  but said nothing regarding his non attentive appearance.
A moment of silence followed...
"Well? What do you have to say to that Ambassador?" The adarian quite impatiently demanded.
"Well...", Eli began, " At this point we don't have much proof you know. I mean your theory makes sense, really it does but, no one can take any action until we have evidence, plain and simple."

"It is quite interesting you say that Ambassador, because I truly think we can easily attain evidence. With some help that is."  The Adarian looked to his fellow representatives, before continuing.

"I assume you are quite aware of the importance of this particular prototype. It's not something we can replace or rebuild and if it were to be discovered," he shook his head worriedly, " a lot more could happen than you realize. Not just to our people, but to yours."

"Mine?"

"To the republic!" Everyone here. It's imperative that we get that prototype back. Imperative." The Adarian finished with a shakey sigh. " We thought that no one would pay our work much attention here, since we are just a small embassy. We thought that by not drawing attention to it with our security measures and systems, that it would remain hidden and unnoticed. We were wrong. Now we ask for your personal help to bring it back."

"Bring it back?" Eli asked taken a back. " I'm an ambassador, not a soldier. And what kind of prototype is this anyways? If it's that serious I'm sure we can find a solution, in fact I could call for republic investigators right now-"

"You misunderstand ambassador," the Adarian hastily put in. " We could have easily called the investigators ourselves but we didn't. We called you. We need your help no questions asked."

"Why me? If you need shady work done, you should ask for shady help, a help I cannot provide."

"But you did once Candor. We know more than you think. It makes me wonder why you took up this business. You've never been one to be held down by law. After all "They don't act when they need to, or where they need to."" The Adarian quoted, raising his eyes expectantly for his audiences reaction.

"How do you... where did you hear that?"

" So..." The Adarian continued, " you aren't as innocent as you seem, or as your resume says. We have leverage against you Candor. I suggest you respect it."

Eli leaned back in his chair, taken aback and silent. How did these Adarians know anything about him? And if they knew... how long until the Republic found out themselves. He tossed his options around in his head, unsure what to do. He'd always been committed to doing good, and this opportunity was too tempting. He knew the republic would do nothing to help other than send in a couple investigators for a free months until the whole thing "blew over." No. It wasn't right. And if this... prototype was as important as they made it seem... well, what else could he do?

"Respect it? Yes. I will. You'll have to fill me in on the details though, if I'm going to actually do this."

The Adarian looked at him triumphantly. "Ah, I knew you would come around my lad! I promise you, you won't regret this." He firmly shook his hand smiling, sealing a deal that would change Eli's life more dramatically than anything he'd ever experienced before.