Chapter Sixteen : Village Speak

The bus ride took almost two hours.

We curved through twisting roads, winding through ancient trees and meadows of the forest. I stared out my window, pensive and unsociable. I was feeling a little like Kole.

Emily sat beside me, which was a surprise, but maybe she just wanted to be next to someone who wasn't going to try and cheer her up. Kole sat across the aisle from us and made sure he got the seat to himself.

Sam and Jana could tell something was bothering me, but they wouldn't ask about it on the bus. I saw them glancing at me, though, from their seat a few aisles ahead, and I knew they'd question me when they had the chance.

When we got closer to our destination we left the thick forest behind and ended up on a hill-studded plain of tall grasses and boulders. The road curved back into the trees, but the bus stopped and Mr. Sato stood up.

"This is where we get off," he said. "The Olim village needing our help is a four mile hike in that direction." He pointed out at the hills. "Powell should meet us there. Grab your gear and let's get moving."

There was a shuffling as we all pulled on our backpacks, which bulged with our supplies. I descended the stairs and waited for everyone to catch up. Together, we began our hike. The bus driver didn't turn off the engine. Instead he drove off down the road.

"Is he leaving us here?" Anthony asked.

"He would be vulnerable out here alone," Mr. Sato explained. "And even if he came with us, we might end up returning to find our bus taken. It's better if he goes back to the city and returns in the evening. We are going to meet him back here at six."

"Long day," Damien said, checking his watch and seeing that it was only eleven thirty.

"I'm sure the Olim had a long night," Jana said pointedly. "Let's do our best."

"Yeah," Damien said with a blush, properly chastised. "I just get so hungry."

"I know, big fella," Jana said, patting his back. He laughed and brushed her off.

As we all walked, we naturally separated into smaller groups. We were always close enough that a few jogging steps would bring us back together, but just far enough away that we weren't stepping on each other and a quiet conversation wouldn't be overheard. Especially over the swishing sound of the sea of grass in the wind. I'd never seen so much grass before. It was up to my knees in some places and almost to my waist in others.

But I might be the only one bothered by the sounds of it. I pushed my ear plugs in a little more firmly.

"Dianna?" Sam dropped back and walked beside me. "Is something bothering you?"

Mr. Sato threw my past in my face and called me a murderer.

"Kole said something interesting to me in the science lab," I said instead.

"I noticed you two talking," Sam agreed. We both walked a little slower, giving ourselves some more space from Anthony and Hank, who were in front of us.

"He asked me if I was on a date with you yesterday."

"He did?" Sam whipped his head to the side to stare at me in shock. He craned his neck to peer down the line and looked at Kole, who was walking near the front with Mr. Sato. "Why?"

"He asked 'are you late to class because your date with Sam went late last night?', and I asked him, 'what's a date?' and he told me. Did we go on a date?"

"That was really crude of him to ask you that," Sam said through gritted teeth. "I'm sorry."

It took me a few seconds to realize the implication. I blushed fiercely when I did.