The calm before the storm(s)

Aida returned to the Map Chamber successfully. As she stepped closer to the portraits, another figure appeared.

- What have we here?
- Greetings, Sir. I'm Aida, a Hogwarts student. And this is my mentor, Professor Fig. - she replied politely.
- Professor Charles Rookwood at your service, Miss. It seems, you completed the first trial?
- I did. It was a challenge, but I dealt with it well. May I ask, Professor Rookwood, if the memory I witnessed before, was it you in the Pensieve memory along Professor Rackham?
- Indeed, child.
- I have another question I haven't figured out yet. Something floated above the Pensieve at the end of the trial... what's supposed to be?
- You'll find out soon, what's their purpose. - Rookwood replied. - You will find similar ones at the end of the remaining trials. You have to take care of them, until we can tell what to do with them.
- Ah, I see... Are you able to tell me about the next trial?

Before Aida could have the answer, Rackham had to intervene, telling Rookwood about the issue with the goblins, and when Aida noticed the dark traces on them, and the last encounter at the first trial's location.

After learning everything, Rookwood found it wise that the next trial had to be halted, until any more information would be found.

***

A few weeks passed, since the first trial. Meanwhile autumn arrived. The highlands turned into the shades of yellow & red.

It was a nice, pleasant weekend. Aida could rest at least, after doing the assignments. Unusually she wasn't an outgoing person, but for now she craved a trip to Hogsmeade.

Arriving at the Three Broomsticks, she barely stepped through, Sirona noticed her & waved her.

- Good to see you, Aida.
- Same goes for you, Miss Ryan.
- Please, just Sirona.
- Pardon. Also I had no chance since, but I wanted to thank you for standing up for me against Rookwood. I really appreciate it.
- Not at all. Those two are nothing but trouble. Also it was sweet of your friend, when he tried to protect you.

Mentioning it, Aida's face turned a bit red, remembering how close she was to Sebastian.

- Well... yes, quite a gentleman... anyway I remember you were speaking to a goblin that day, before the confrontation.
- Yes, Lodgok. - Sirona nodded. - He's a good friend of mine. I've known him for years.
- Do you know where he might be? I need to talk to him, it's urgent.

After Sirona told her his whereabouts, she advised Aida to mention her, to make it easier to speak.

Later, she found the place. Not as bright as the Three Broomsticks, she thought, then entered. She found the goblin in the corner.

- I'm sorry... - she approached him. - Sirona told me I may find you here.
- Did she send you with news?
- Well... no. I wanted to speak with you. About... Ranrok...

The goblin observed her face, then a slight surprise ran through.

- Ah, I remember now. In the Three Broomsticks, on the day when the troll-attack. You're the one he's after, right?
- Unfortunately, but yes. - she nodded. - And I need to know what he's up to.
- Tell me at least one reason why I should trust you.
- Well, Sirona said we have a common interest.
- If Sirona believes in it, then it is possible that we can trust each other. - after a short pause, the goblin spoke again. - I may know of something that could help us both.

'And here comes the favor', she thought.

***

It was quite a hard task, but Aida got the helmet from the Ashwinder-camp, which Lodgok needed. He looked pleased when she gave it to him.