ᠻꪮꪊ᥅ ᥫ᭡.

●・○・●・○・●

┌──═━┈━═──┐
four
└──═━┈━═──┘

笑いは酒のように流れ、
laughter flows like alcohol,

群衆の中に麻痺が包まれる、
numbness wraps the crowded room,

恐怖はグラスに溺れる。
fear drowns in the glass

the next evening, as soon as you were through with work, you went to the venue of the long awaited event which so happened to be the zenins' estate.

in the vehicle, your heart drummed in your throat anxiously. when the stone driveway of the estate had pulled into view. your heart started to run in circles in your head making you dizzy.

"a moment later and I would've started to worry" Mai, still in her work attire, met you by the entrance as you clambered up the stairs with the large garment bag.

"Zenin-san. I'm sorry, the traffic was terrible..." you trailed off as she offered you a champagne glass.

"Mai works for today, y/n" she smiled soft and you nodded, shaking off some of the anxiety as you took the glass and offered the garment bag to one of the maids that met you by the stairway.

Mai is an angel.

but what have I done to be blessed?

Mai had suggested that you stop by the estate with the dress before the actually starting time of the function just to get fitted.

"let's get to it, you already washed?"

"i came straight from work since you said I should-"

"go wash up, don't put anything on after"

"nothing?"

"surely I didn't stutter. the fittings need to be done on your bare body. This is how my mother designed them. So hurry on"

and so you did.

at first you had thought you arrived too early, three hours before the dedicated start time, but even on the two hour mark there were three ladies that still worked at you and prepped you like a lamb brought in for slaughter.

they worked at doing their best to carefully adjust the fittings of the dress you rented with safety pins. no adjustments too taut to strain the fabric yet still close enough that it felt like you acquired a second skin.

apparently it would've been a great disservice to Mrs. Zenin's creativity had her work been displayed without showing off that intended form fitting effect.

so they worked at doing their best to attain that with the pins and you took shallower breaths every minute as to not discredit that.

your hair was restrained in a tight low bun that gave you a face lift, and your face painted with blush, a dark brown catlike  smoky eyeliner and a subtle pink lip.

nothing outrageous yet when you eventually walked by the mirror, you could barely recognize yourself. your stomach twisted with some unwanted memories for a forgotten past.

I haven't been dressed up like this since how long?

"The sacrificial lamb is ready" Mai said from the doorway and you glanced over your shoulder, hurriedly pulling your hand from your lips that you had been investigating because they looked more plump as usual.