𝓲𝓲𝓲. questions and answers

written – 12.9.23  |  re-written – 9.5.24
WARNINGS: mentions of suicide

FRIDAY, AUGUST 11TH

EMBRY FLASHED RONI A WARM, WELCOMING SMILE as he gracefully slid into the seat across from her, his eyes meeting hers with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness. Roni, known for her direct approach, wasted no time in getting to the heart of the matter. "Look, I'm just going to get straight to the point," she stated firmly, her gaze unwavering as she stared at him intently. "I'm going to ask some questions, and you're going to answer them honestly and completely."

Embry nodded solemnly, mentally preparing himself for the barrage of questions that was about to come his way. If there was one thing Embry had learned about Roni Lahote during the few, albeit brief, conversations he'd had with her over the years, it was that she had an unwavering aversion to beating around the bush. She preferred to keep things straightforward, direct, and to the point, a quality that both intimidated and intrigued him.

"Are you and I soulmates?" Roni asked, her voice steady but tinged with a hint of curiosity.

"Yes, we are," Embry replied, his voice soft but firm, acknowledging the profound connection between them.

"Do we have to be together?" Roni pressed, her eyebrows furrowing slightly as she sought clarification on the nature of their bond.

"Not necessarily," Embry answered thoughtfully, understanding the importance of free will in their unique situation.

"So you can be my friend or protector instead of my boyfriend?" Roni questioned, her tone revealing a mix of relief and intrigue at the possibility of different dynamics within their connection.

"Yes, absolutely," Embry confirmed, emphasizing the flexibility of their bond.

"If we didn't start seeing each other romantically, would we feel the effects of the bond?" Roni inquired, her curiosity piqued by the intricacies of their supernatural connection.

"Yes, we would," Embry admitted, acknowledging the inherent pull of their bond regardless of their chosen relationship status.

"Would you actually... kill yourself if I were to reject the bond completely?" Roni asked hesitantly, her voice wavering slightly as she broached this sensitive topic.

"Everyone reacts differently to bond rejection," Embry responded carefully, not wanting to alarm her but also not wanting to downplay the seriousness of the situation.

"Would you like for us to be together romantically?" Roni asked, her tone softening slightly as she approached this more personal question.

"Only if you do," Embry stated sincerely, his eyes conveying his genuine respect for her feelings and choices. Roni couldn't help but bite back a smile, appreciating his attentiveness to her words and his consideration of her autonomy, unlike many others she had encountered.

"I'm not saying I'm completely opposed to the idea of us being together," Roni began, her tone thoughtful. "You seem like a genuinely great guy," she added, causing Embry to smile warmly, which in turn made Roni chuckle softly. "It's just... I don't particularly like the idea of not having full control over my own love life," she explained, sighing deeply before taking a long sip of her milkshake, allowing herself a moment to gather her thoughts.

Embry nodded understandingly, his expression empathetic. "I completely understand your perspective," he said, his voice gentle yet sincere. "All I'm asking is that you give us a chance to explore this connection. Perhaps we could go on a few dates, and if you find that it's not what you want, you can reject the bond, and we can move forward from there." Roni's eyebrows furrowed as she contemplated Embry's words, a mix of emotions playing across her face.