Chapter 2- Sold

The only noise to break the silence of the stagnant room was the constant buzz of a freezer in the background.

The woman had started leading each girl into the other room one by one and I could hear the sound of water being turned on and of in the adjacent room.

I was so tired and my head looked to the side as I waited for my turn. Suddenly, the door creaked upon and old woman pointed at me.

"Come in ,"she said, already heading back into the room. I followed her and as I walked past Cat, she touched my leg to grab my attention. I turned and looked back at her.

"You have to stay strong," she whispered confidently. "We're gonna get out of here."

I smiled back in what I hoped was an encouraging way but I had lost all hope of escape when I saw Katya's body slumped on the floor.

I headed into the room and saw a line of all the girls called in before me in towels, their hair dripping and their backs facing the air con machine.

Another girl I had not seen before was kneeling by the small bathtub in the centre of the room, scrubbing furiously at the porcelain.

She had dark long hair and brown eyes, so stunningly beautiful, apart from the angry red line across her left cheek.

She smiled timidly at me before filling the tub in water and telling me to take off my clothes in a gentle voice.

*********
After an embarrassing ordeal of being vigorously showered by the girl and old woman I sat with all the other girls in a line.

By now, everyone had been bathed and we sat, waiting for instructions.

"Iris," old woman suddenly announced."Hurry up and start taking names, we need the information forms filled for tonight."

Iris sighed and looked up from what she was doing before grabbing a notepad and pen from the side and sitting in a chair.

"What's your name?" Iris asked, turning to face Katarina.

"Kat."

"Full name?"

"Just Kat," Katarine responded harshly.

"Ok," Iris continued "Date of birth, hair colour, eye colour, nationality?"

"3rd October 1997, red, blue, American."

"Finally, are you pure?"

"Pure?" Katarina questioned.

"Are you a virgin," Iris said crudely.

"No."

Katarina looked her in the eye unashamedly.

"Dirty whores, don't sell for more,"old woman remarked tutting.

"Well hopefully I am at least more valuable than a crusty old woman," Katarina remarked, staring coldly at the ground.

The old woman gasped and marched over to Katarina who was sitting by the dirty bathtub.
She grabbed her cropped auburn hair and dragged her towards the door.

I leapt up to try and intervene but Iris blocked me and forced me back onto the chair.

"Stop," she pleaded. "You don't want her to hate you too."

Despite wanting to help Katarina I knew there was no point arguing.

"Ok girls," Iris announced in an authoritative voice after I had gained my composure back.
"We need to sort out your costumes."

______

We were back inside the van with Chip and Iris in the front, driving us to what I presumed was the auction.