8- Jealousy.

Ashley's pov

My hands went through the clothes in my suitcase until I came across a long black dress. I didn't know if it was too much, or not enough. I've never been to this kind of event before.

Once in front of the mirror, I spent a moment standing there, without moving. Just thinking about the last few days. Lando still didn't respond to my messages. I tried to knock on his hotel room door, but no answer.

Even though I understood his reaction, this radio silence was starting to annoy me. He didn't even give me a chance to explain.

As I put on my mascara, I thought about the latest rumors I had read on my phone. I know for a fact that the networks are ticking time bombs for us, but I couldn't help it. The usual rumors that a woman had no place in Formula 1 had been preempted by "the new conquest of Charles Leclerc".

The photo of this "mysterious young woman" holding his hand was circulating everywhere on all the networks. A lot of people were thinking about me, but most were just thinking about a new girl. I knew that in a very short time, the news about my "couple" with Charles would break.

I refused to think about it. The whole world already saw me as worthless, so after this, I would be as low as earth.

But that didn't seem to bother Frédéric and Andrea. As long as the reputation of the two teams remained safe, I could go down, it didn't matter.

Even though I had always been used to this kind of behavior, having it now in front of the whole world was becoming more and more difficult.

But I wasn't going to let them bring me down. I had worked way too hard for that.

I was ready to go. I was grumbling to myself because this whole situation was annoying me. My evening was going to have to take place alongside Charles Leclerc. I cursed Frédéric for asking him to invite me there.

***

The crowd was beginning to get restless in front of the large lit building. I had been waiting for several minutes to see Lando appear. Since we were supposed to arrive together as teammates, I couldn't walk the red carpet without him.

He was late. Or maybe he just wouldn't come.

The camera flashes made me shake with excitement. The heat of this evening in Monza was irresistible.

I had already been waiting for him for 10 minutes and I couldn't stay in the car forever. I then opened the door, letting the screams of the crowd fill my ears.

I started signing autographs with the most sincere smile possible. Even though I was already hearing derogatory comments from some people, I decided not to pay attention to them anymore.

I have finally reached the level of journalists. A woman, accompanied by a man, was interviewing Lewis, who was wearing a stunning black ensemble. Once his interview was over, the man holding the microphone then gestured for me to come closer.

"Ashley Smith, ladies and gentlemen !" exclaimed the woman

"You look stunning tonight, Miss Smith." the man next to her continued

"Thank you very much. It's an honor to be here tonight." I said smiling from ear to ear

"The pleasure is all ours ! But, tell us, you didn't come accompanied ? "

"Oh, well..." I began

"No one wanted to go with the little rookie, did they ?" The interviewer then laughed while looking at the camera