Chapter 01

She was the perfect daughter, that's what everyone thought.

Emma had a joyful childhood filled with love and affection from her parents, friends, and relatives. Even her school teachers, known to use sticks to teach and belts to punish, didn't turn a blind eye to anyone except her.

It is a mystery how this young and cheerful creature, with enchanting blue eyes and an innocent smile, became the monster that nobody saw coming.

She lived in a village situated in the midst of a forest. The houses with sloping roofs had turned slightly grey with time, but almost every building had two floors, in which you could catch a glimpse of the emblem of the city, a courtyard with a magnificent fountain located in the centre. This was, in fact, the pride and joy of the town and had been there for as long as anyone could remember.

The village had its own traditions, but the most cherished celebration was Halloween. They held great festivals throughout the year, but this one was particularly close to their hearts. It was a time for them to come together and remember their loved ones. This year was even more special, as it marked Emma's 21st birthday, a girl so loved that everyone was honoured to be a part of the celebration.

But the young child has now grown up and transformed into a woman. She lived her life like any other person, enjoying cooking, reading and taking long walks in the woods. That's why, despite her predictable routine, everyone was shocked when she announced she unfortunately had other plans for October 31st.

"What do you mean? You won't be here?" asked her mother Ronda, confused.

"Oh no mother, I'll be here at home, but I don't think I'll join the celebration in the courtyard tonight."

"What are you talking about!? Not only it's Halloween, but everyone in the village is gathering for your birthday too! You can't miss it, unless you were, were..seriously ill!" she shouted in distress.

"Or dead..", murmured Jonathan, her husband.

As soon as he cracked the joke, his wife gave him a cold look, making the situation worse. In that small town, traditions were highly valued, but maybe a little too much, bordering on obsession. No one had ever missed a party, not even on Halloween, the most meaningful holiday.

"I'll be dead, then! No one will know. You could just say that I'm around with friends!" Emma exclaimed.

"I'm not going to explain why. Let's just say that it will be a surprise for all of you!" she concluded.

Confused and worried, her parents consulted each other for a while. They knew the surprise was just an excuse, so they made her promise to tell them the truth when they returned.

Therefore, after the initial shock, Ronda and Jonathan approved this strange request, leaving their young daughter alone in the house.