V

Anntonia tilted her head and squinted her eyes trying to make heads or tails out of the blue and purple brush streaks on a canvas. She was a STEM major, which meant the last art class she took was a half-assed one in her first year of college. It didn't mean she didn't enjoy arts, just meant she was unable to comprehend modern art. And this painting in front of her looked like it could be wallpaper, could be a child's work, could be a product of rolling around in some paint on a canvas, she thought as she sipped on her Frappuccino, ignoring the signs around the gallery that food and drink wasn't allowed. But not a single staff member had said anything to her, probably because she was let in by the Director of the gallery herself, Engfa.

The woman herself was taking a call so she was alone. It was the weekend and Engfa had called her out to the gallery. She would much rather be mimicking a whale on her couch right now but here she was dressed and out dealing with people.

It was when Charlotte leaned over her ear,

"Is it a peacock?"

"I wonder if is it a pig." She answered with a shrug.

"Probably both," Irfan chimed on her other side. "It's kind of cool, I guess." He added with a chuckle.

"Why am I here?" Anntonia said for probably the hundredth time since they arrived and couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"Because for some reason I agreed to marry an artist and you helped her propose, so we should show some support," was all Charlotte could answer and she sighed and clicked her heels on the wooden floors. She wore a simple V-neck with dark blue jeans and black strappy heels while her best friend was in black skinny jeans, a crimson blouse and shoes that matched hers. Irfan on the other hand was in his form of casual, which was still black slacks and a button-down shirt with dress shoes. They were more suitable to be at brunch than they were at a private gallery with paintings that price started in the millions.

"Ann, is that the one you like?" Engfa asked as he came around the corner. She didn't know if they meant to do it, but the soon-to-be married couple coordinated their outfit. The latter was in black jeans and a thin crimson sweater with black walking shoes.

"I mean, I don't hate it," she replied, glancing at Engfa as she came to stand behind her fiancée , putting her chin atop her shoulders and hands on her waist.

"Great!" The woman declared. "Then it's yours. I'll have it shipped to your office later."

"WHY?" Anntonia and Charlotte asked, rather loudly, in unison, gaining some looks from the staff that was tending to the gallery. Charlotte was worked up enough to step out of her fiancé's embrace but the latter's smile never faltered.

"Because Emerald's anniversary is coming up. Your favorite color is blue, and Char's is yellow. That makes green, and so emerald, right? So, I think it represents you both perfectly. Contrasting and but also complementing. "

They both looked at Engfa like she was truly an art geek or insane. But Anntonia felt Irfan brushed her arm, probably to tell her to control her expressions, she smacked his arm away anyway.

"No offense Fa, but this thing is huge. Where would I even put it? How will I even get it up to the office?"

From her peripheral vision, she saw Charlotte nodded in full agreement. Their office was on the top floor, facing each other and they shared a common space. Though she spent significantly less time there, she was there enough to know she would stare at this giant monstrosity every time she passed it and it would disturb her.

"Don't worry about it, Ann. I will arrange it. For free!" Engfa insisted.

"I really think it's a great idea, Babe. It will spark your creativity every day," Irfan offered his unsolicited advice, stifling a laugh and that made her shot him a look but he only grinned at her teasingly.