Job Went Wrong, Horribly (Pt. 1)

"So... I just have to escort her and protect the package until we reach the destination?" I asked the boss about the new job I got.

"Yes, she will be carrying a very important package, so even a scratch will not be tolerated."

"The location isn't that far, and the route we're going seems to be pretty safe. It's a pretty nice job... But, may I read the contract again?"

"This is the third time. Are we really not that trustworthy for you?"

"I've worked with quite many employers, and contracts are the most important thing that should be taken care of. This is just for precaution, so don't worry about it."

I look into the contract yet again for the third time, making sure to check every corner and word that may be hidden in it. Sensei has taught me a lot, so I won't waste it.

'I need to escort a student to their destination... I will get my pay at the destination... Consequences for damages to the package... It's reasonable. I don't see any loopholes in it that unfavoured me.'

"So, what do you think?"

"It's reasonable. I would like to accept this job."

"Great. She's waiting in the next room. You can ready yourself before preparing to leave, but don't make it long."

"I understand."

I did my greetings and leave the room. I'm in a hallway, with the room next to this is the place my employer told me to escort. I sit on a bench in the hallway and pull out my phone.

'Should I tell Sensei about the new job? I... I don't want to be a bother. But I may get played again If I don't ask Sensei for help.'

I thought about it for a few more seconds, before finally opening MomoTalk.

Saori: Sensei, I got a new job.

It didn't even take five seconds, but Sensei immediately replied.

Sensei: Really! What is it? Is it safe? Did you read the contract carefully?

Saori: It's an escorting job.

Saori: I've read the contract bit by bit, and I think it's a pretty good job.

Sensei: Escorting who?

Saori: A student, along with packages.

Sensei: I see... Then, I wish you luck with your job, Saori. Be careful on the way!

Saori: I understand... Thank you.

I put my phone back in my pocket, and stand up from the bench. I walk to the room, going my way to meet the student. Once I opened the door, I was greeted by a young student, fidgeting and looking to be scared.

She noticed my presence, and greeted me, "Oh! H-hello... I'm the one that will... be escorted."

She seems to be really nervous, speaking not quite clearly.

"Are you okay?" I ask, worried about her condition.

"A-ah, yes, I'm fine... Just feeling... worried about the way."

She must be talking about the route we're going through. "It's okay. As long as I'm here, you will be out of danger." I said confidently behind my mask. "Now, let's get going. We shouldn't be late. I'll wait outside, you can finish whatever you were doing." I walk out the door.

"...Sorry"

"Hm?"

"Ah... Nothing."

"Alright." I closed the door.