I - A Chance Encounter

Wraith stood at the end of the training grounds, her mind lost in the swirling abyss of her past. She fought the dummies with aggression, but her mind was elsewhere; she could hear whispers, fragments of forgotten memories. She could see glimpses of light, flashes of the hospital. She couldn't focus, but she tried to brush it all off by taking a rest. She sat in the silence of the training grounds at night, finding solace in the quiet, reveling in the Apex Games. "I will figure out my past," she said in a dark tone to herself. She stood up with a new level of focus to re-enter her vigorous training schedule.

Unbeknownst to her, she wasn't truly alone. Another legend enjoyed training at night, not for the quiet, but because the light of his illusions shone brighter. It was Mirage, the witty trickster. He strolled through the training grounds, his vibrant personality illuminating the dimming night. Mirage noticed Wraith engaging in another one of her intense boot camps. "I know better than to mess with that crazy psycho when she's training," he muttered to himself as he moved to another area, testing the limits of his illusions.

As Mirage's playful laughter filled the air, Wraith's razor-sharp attention shifted to the commotion. She let out an audible sigh, knowing exactly who it was. She liked to train alone, but if others entered the training grounds, it wasn't usually a problem—unless it was Mirage. She made her way over to him with flames in her eyes. Mirage noticed her coming and braced himself for a scolding. "I wasn't that loud, Wraith!" Mirage shouted as she approached. "I'll show you loud," she retorted.

Wraith stood in front of him with an expression as if she was going to rip Mirage's head off his shoulders. "Every time I practice these holograms, you seem to come over. You can join the fun if you'd like?" Mirage said with a sarcastic tone. Wraith's expression hardened, and her voice was full of disdain. "Do I look like I'm here to watch your tricks, Mirage? I could think of a million other things I'd rather do, one of those things being death." Mirage chuckled. "Loosen up a bit! Are you stuck up in every dimension? Embrace the art of illusions!" Mirage created a rose hologram in his hand and held it out for her. Wraith crushed the hologram. "Deception is all you're good for; I prefer to face reality head-on." Wraith stormed back to her area. "Always a pleasure, Wraith," Mirage said as she walked away.

"Isn't she just a ray of sunshine," Mirage sighed to himself as he watched her gather her things to leave the training grounds. He caught up with her before she could leave. "Hey! It's okay; I'll leave. I'm pretty much fed up anyway." He offered to her. "I don't want your pity, illusion boy," she barked back at him. "I think we got off on the wrong foot—" "You've been getting off on the wrong foot ever since I met you, Mirage." Wraith interrupted him. There was a moment of silence, and Mirage sighed. "I do respect you. You know that?" Mirage said reluctantly. Wraith raised an eyebrow; she didn't expect to hear a sentence like that from Mirage. "You're the only person who sees past the illusions, you 'face reality head-on.' I respect that." Another moment of silence followed. Wraith scoffed. "Thank you. Just make sure those silly illusions don't get in my way from now on." She said, slightly taken aback from Mirage's previous comment.

The moon shone down on the training grounds, Mirage and Wraith stood there, their contrasting personalities creating an interesting dynamic. They were opposites, or so they kept telling themselves. However, in that moment, a silent understanding passed between them. Their approaches to life and problems were vastly different, yet they shared a common goal - to conquer the Apex Games and leave their mark on the world, whether that was through fame and money or uncovering the dark secrets of the Games themselves.

"I should be on my way," Mirage said, gesturing towards the exit. "Yeah, me too," Wraith followed behind him. The night breeze rustled through the trees as the bond between Wraith and Mirage began to take shape. They continued their usual bickering on their way out of the training ground, their interactions laced with sarcasm and sharp wit, hinting at the potential for an unlikely partnership. Little did they know, their journey had only just begun, and the shadows of illusion that surrounded them would test them in every way they could imagine. "I knew saying some sad story about respecting her would get her to like me," Mirage giggled to himself as he got on his motorbike.

Until the next chapter...