Prologue: The Boy, The Wizard, The War, and The Curse

All was well at Ebbott Mountain University. The students were helping staff members prepare for the king and queen's anniversary. King Asgore and Queen Toriel were the rulers of this small kingdom and also worked at the college. Their son also attended Ebbott Mountain University and seemed to be popular since he was their prince. Asriel was very kind and helpful to all he met and this made him even more desirable. Human rulers sought him out for their daughters as a suitable king. Asgore and Toriel didn't force arranged marriage on their son and turned down every offer.

One day, a new transfer student came in from one of the human universities. His name was Chara Howard. The king and queen granted him entry to their college and Asriel soon became very good friends with him. Once they found out Chara had been in and out of housing, families, and schools since he was young, the Dreemurrs adopted him into their family and he became another young prince that the other rulers would offer their daughters to.

The humans had expected Chara to come back, hoping the Dreemurrs wouldn't let him into their school. When he didn't return, his parents formed an alliance with the family of his soon-to-be wife and waged war on the Dreemurrs and their kingdom. The Howards hired Wilden the vile, a wizard known for his expertise in the dark arts and potion brewing, to infiltrate the kingdom and school and poison the royal family. Wilden did exactly that. He posed as a young transfer student, befriended the princes and their parents, spread false rumors about Chara and Asriel, and poisoned the family.

Recovery was tough for the Dreemurrs but, their own sorcerer and scientist helped find a cure. He worked to create an antidote for days, months even. Once it was ready, he tested it on himself and his colleagues before giving it to the royals. It worked almost instantly on their sons and it took some extra time for the king and queen to bounce back. Luckily, they were able to recover in time for their anniversary and Asriel's birthday not long after. They didn't know Wilden was an enemy operative and was maintaining contact with the Howards.

Unfortunately, word got out that they survived and the humans planned another attack. Wilden continued to attend Ebbott Mountain University and plotted an ever bigger scheme with the humans. He decided to put a curse on the entire kingdom of the mountain and send their college deep under the Earth. This idea was met with approval and praise and they agreed to strike the night of Asriel's birthday.

The Dreemurrs weren't expecting the attack and rallied their troops last minute. They had to recruit some of their students and draft them into the royal guard to help fight the war. Their sorcerer, W.D. Gaster even joined the efforts and used his powers to protect the school and kingdom. They were able to crush the enemy forces swiftly and the rest of the evening went smoothly until Chara passed out in the ballroom unexpectedly. Asriel picked up his brother to take him to Gaster. Unfortunately, he fell unconscious as well.

Wilden called in a stealth squad to help bring them to the humans and cursed the entire kingdom. The kind people who became magical monsters at night were now stuck as these creatures forever. On top of that, their princes had been kidnapped.

For weeks, the monsters hoped Asriel and Chara would return. They hoped that would break the curse. Sadly, the two never came back. King Asgore tried everything to keep his people happy in their absence. It was becoming difficult to continue without his sons around and hope was running out.

One evening, Queen Toriel spoke with her husband about a plan to take back their boys. King asgore didn't approve of such actions. He had grown to hate humans since their children were taken from them. All Toriel wanted was to find out whether they were still alive or not and Asgore flat out dismissed her concerns. Their argument continued until the queen decide to step away. She decided to leave Asgore and start a new life elsewhere. King Asgore called together his people and chose to lead them himself. This only made the curse stronger. The kingdom had soon been moved deep inside the mountain and the monsters set up new permanent dwellings. Toriel stayed with those who wanted to stay in the ruins of their former home. Others chose to live in areas known as Snowdin, Waterfall, and Hotland. The rest moved onward towards the end of the cavern, a place King Asgore called New Home.

In each section of the Underground, a new campus was set up. Toriel ran the Ruins Campus and Asgore ran the rest. Transfers were only permitted in the areas under Asgore's rule. The Ruins were closed off from the rest of the Underground and refused any transfers. This meant the rest of the Underground would be overcrowded in the near future and King Asgore needed to find a way to accommodate.

Toriel soon stopped calling herself the queen and resolved to raise and educate any humans who fell into the Underground. She needed to protect them from her ex-husband. She knew they wouldn't last a second here. She was also one of the few who still had a soft spot for humans after everything they had done to her people. Those who inhabited the Ruins praised her for remaining strong and independent as well as motherly to all she met. The rest of the monsters praised Asgore for resolving to kill any humans who entered his kingdom. In his eyes, they would pay for the sins and crimes of those who killed his children.

Years passed and only six other humans came into contact with the monsters. None of them were able to return home. The monster kingdom and school became legend and then myth as time went on. Each human that climbed Mt. Ebbott was killed by the monsters. They were all first-year and second-year college students wanting to study the old tale in-depth. Toriel did her best to convince them to stay in the Ruins. But these young ones were always curious about the world beyond the ravaged city. They all managed to get past her and venture off into Snowdin, Waterfall, and Hotland. Much to Toriel's dismay, they were never seen or heard from again.