To You In 2000 Years - The Fall of Shinganshina: Part 1

~Elias POV~

On The way back home, Eren, myself and Mikasa are carrying firewood as Carla wanted us to grab some. We were running out, so there was no reason to not grab any.

Eren: Do me a favor huh? Don't let anyone I was crying?

Mikasa(shrugging it off): Yeah yeah yeah. Still though, you don't remember why?

Elias: Might wanna have your dad look into that.

Eren(sarcastic): Right, because tearing up is usually a medical thing.

Man: Is somebody messing with ya?

We then bumped into Mr. Hannes, a family friend and I wouldn't be surprised if he's drinking AGAIN.

You see, Hannes was known as a very strong alcoholic. He'd drink on the job every chance he gets. All day every day. It's no surprise that I'm starting to smell his breath that reeks of booze.

I don't have any plans on drinking in the future and I'm super glad I don't!

Eren: Hey Mr. Hannes.

Hannes: Or are you just getting on Mikasa's bad side?

Eren: No! What are you even talking about!

Elias: Ugh! You smell like a tavern, you know!

A group of Garrison Regiment soldiers behind Hannes laughed as I wasn't surprised that they're drunk too.

Soldier: Only if tears were in cups of ale.

Eren(sigh): Of course.

Hannes: You kids care for a swig?

Elias: Nah, we're good.

Eren: Aren't you, uh, on watch?

Hannes saluted and said...

Hannes: Yep! Watching the ol' gate we are. Thirsty work, playin sentry. Pinochle only goes so far to chase off the boredom. Li'l nip every now keeps us all in our courage for a spell. Perks of being a guard, eh?

Elias: Let me ask you a question: how do you expect to fight when you're all loose on your feet?

Hannes: Huh? Now why on earth would we have to fight?

Elias: Why do you think? What if they break through the walls? We'd be sitting ducks on your watch!

Hannes: Kid. Please. Use your inside voice.

Soldier: *laughs* He's got some fire in him!

A soldier walks over to us, even more drunk than Hannes!

Soldier: Listen, the only thing they ever done to the wall for the past hundred years is scratch at it. I have a feeling that if they ever get in their big head to do something else then we'll be more than ready for anything.

Eren: A feeling? Elias is right! What any of you actually done to be ready for them?! Dad says you have to stay sharp!

Hannes: Ah, good Doctor Jaeger. Yeah well, can't argue with a doctor who spared us from the plague. Thing is, he's talking about his scalpel. What we do isn't half as important. Hey, no disrespect towards your father, but a soldier's time beyond the wall kinda tends the whole situation into a different perspective. You see em all groping at the wall, mindless, dead-eyed.

Eren: Wait a minute, sounds to me you don't think that they're all not that dangerous.

Hannes: Eh.