13. Wounds

Murtasim

I kneeled before the young woman and kept a hand on her head. "Do you know who I am?"

She nodded, "Murtasim Khan."

"Good, now you need to understand I won't let anything happen to you or your family. From now on, you will stay in his Haveli and continue your schooling. Is that alright?"

She looked around, probably looking for her mother, and nodded. "Yes. But what will happen to the men who killed my family?"

I pointed at my kurta, "This is their blood. Don't worry; they will pay for their wrongdoings."

She nodded again, and Mai took her from there. I tilted my head to see my Wife clutching my bloody knuckles. Silently, she got up and took my hand.

***
Meerab entered my room- our room- and opened our bags. Without another word, she gave me a fresh pair of clothes. "Why don't you shower, and I'll bring you some food."

"Did you eat?"

She said, "No, I was busy with everything else."

"Then bring yours as well." She smiled and left.

I stood underneath the shower. Water wiped the apparent blood and cleaned my body—a pink dye pooled beneath my feet. However, the water would never wash my sins or heal my heart. Nothing in this world would help me.

I am a monster, Meerab once said.

There is no turning back now.

After cleaning myself, I walked out of the bathroom.

One of our staff was setting the table. She bowed and left when Meerab entered, holding a first aid box.

"Your knuckles are looking bad. You need to treat them before any infections."

We sat on the couch. Meerab took some alcohol wipes, "Your skin is exposed, so it might sting a little." Without waiting for my answer, she cleaned the wound.

She took some antiseptics and applied them to my knuckles. I always had Bakhtu treating me, primarily because I could never show myself to Mama or Maryam. It would've broken their hearts.

Yet with Meerab, she understood me. There was no pity or cringe in her eyes.

She washed her hands and made a plate. I reached for another one, but she slapped my forearm away. "Sit back. I am feeding you."

I chuckled and moved my hands. "Look, Meerab, they are perfectly well." She shook her head, not buying any of my bullshit. Before I could further protest, she fed me the rice and herself.

Her gaze often traveled from my lips to my eyes to my clean shirt. She nervously gulped, "What's happening now?"

It took a moment to realize what she was referring to. I sighed. "Nothing. We caught the men, and they exposed Malik's plan. Now, Malik is after our goods."

"How would we solve this?"

We.

A smile threatened to flash on my face.

"Don't worry, he won't be able to do anything."

She nodded.

We sat in silence. "Am I a monster?"

She froze and gazed at me. "No."

I smirked, "I was drenched in blood."

"It was not only your enemy. It was yours as well. You are hurting yourself while believing it was the opponent. You are your biggest antagonist."