Finding a New Job

"What is your name young man?" Asked the staff holding a camera.

"Kim Sangsoo, but you can call me Roy Kim sir. I want to audition here at Cube for a chance to become a singer. I brought my guitar with me." Roy introduced himself.

The boy was near on adulthood. He recently gained exposure on staring in Superstar K, an American Idol type of show. He sang many folk covers to the impression of many. It was from a recommendation from a judge that he ended up in the Cube building. Home of the popular groups like Beast and 4minute, two of the most successful groups in Kpop currently. Though Beast may not exactly be his style, he can recognize their talent.

"It says you already appeared on a survival show and that you have an impressive voice. Let me what you're capable of?" Asked the staff.

Roy pulled out of his guitar to sing a tune he grew up with. Being from the country he has learn to appreciate the finer things including music. He let the guitar do its thing and began singing.

If a picture paints a thousand words
Then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show
The you I've come to know

If a face could launch a thousand ships
Then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you
You're all that's left me too
And when my love for life is running dry
You come and pour yourself on me

If a man could be two places at one time
I'd be with you
Tomorrow and today
Beside you all the way

If the world should stop revolving
Spinning slowly down to die
I'd spend the end with you
And when the world was through
Then one by one the stars would all go out
Then you and I would simply fly away
Music end

His was soft yet powerful. There was a sense of sorrow when he sang. The staff took notice as he began to unconsciously tear up as the song progresses. Other trainees nearby also began to cry despite not understanding a lick of English. Roy then blinks in surprised at everyone crying.

"Is there a funeral I'm missing?" He said cluelessly.

"My, that is such a beautiful melody! Where did you learn to sing like that?"

"I learned most of myself. Where I grew up country music was popular. That was simply a tune from my childhood." Roy stated as it were obvious.

"You exceeded my expectations! Welcome to Cube Entertainment!" The staff congratulated him.

Roy was so unaware that he was stunned after shaking hands with the elder. He was then guided to the Cube training room.

"A new face? Welcome to the training room my name is Eunkwang. What's yours?" Asked the boy.

"My name is Roy Kim. I actually came from America."

"Yo that's totally cool. Minhyuk by the way! We have a trainee that's also American." Minhyuk introduced himself.

"I am Changsub. That's dope so you're like Harry hyung!" Changsub clapped hands with Roy.

"I hear he's quite popular."

"That's because he's been nice to us! Harry is like a big brother to all of us!" Eunkwang explains.

"Sounds like an interesting person. I'll have to meet him." Roy said as he got comfortable meeting some new friends.

He spent the first week getting his body used to exercise. While it wasn't a big issue, he found it to be very tedious. He was required to do many intensive cardio workouts in order for him to get ready for dance practice. Dance practice was another challenge since he had no prior experience. Roy learned everything through trial and error but at least he was comfortable having friends to encourage him. That was perhaps the best thing, of all members he befriends he founded Hyunsik and Peniel to be most relatable. Peniel for his American background and Hyunsik for his vocal talent.

It was now approaching the start of 2012 and Cube preparing to launch its next boy group to succeed Beast. They were called BTOB, an acronym for "Born to Beat", a fitting name considering the level of talents the boys carried. Roy Kim was selected to be their Main Vocalist. He couldn't be more excited since singing was his specialty.

They celebrated with a feast of Korean BBQ and Bimbimbap.

"Congratulations on making it fellas! You've all earned it!" Eunkwang smiled.

"Told ya we're awesome like that. Sooner and later, we'll share the stage with the seniors." Changsub said with optimism.

"That's hella dope. I'ma shake the crowd for our debut." Illhoon chugged a cup of soda.

"What types of songs will we be singing?" Roy asks cooling down his bowl.

"Probably some heartbreak anthem. Remember Fiction?" Minhyuk states.

"I hope it's something Hip Hop related." Sungjae said finishing his meal.

"You ate fast my dude. I would be careful." Changsub warned.

"I can't help it, we haven't had a proper meal the whole day! All we do is dance and exercise. We don't have enough time to eat lunch." Sungjae complained.

"Training was brutal there's no doubt about it. I'm surprised I even survived it." Roy stated feeling relieved.

"That means you're pretty strong. Most trainees just call it quits after a year or two and you only had a few months of training. You must be those prodigy parents talk about." Peniel said.

"I wouldn't call it that. I love music and music gives me joy. Back in America, I heard country music. Although it isn't a genre most folks outside of America listen to, I find it a joy especially classic country. Folk music gives me great joy as well. Bob Dylan is one of the greatest artist America has ever had." Roy states.

He would hear old records from his parents. Once he picked a guitar, he never let it go. He figured he could be that type of artist.

"Let this be a start to something greater. Let's support each other no matter what." Eunkwang declares standing up.

"I'm down." Illhoon said.

"Let's do it!" Minhyuk adds.

"Make it four please." Hyunsik stands up.

"Don't forget about me!" Sungjae got up.

"If you're down then I am as well." Changsub said.

"Long as we be there all the way." Peniel shrugged.

"We're all waiting for you kid." Eunkwang said.

"Count me in as well. I'm willing to go all the way!" Roy quickly draws his hand out.

Their journey was just getting started...