Chapter 1

I wanted to be a Hero.
My whole life this idea had been floating around in my mind. Whenever I was bored, I had created scenarios in my head seeing myself saving people. All I wanted was to see the relief take over their eyes when they realise it’s me who’s standing in front of them.
Of course, I knew that it was impossible. I wasn’t special. Nothing more than a waitress in a beautiful little Café in a surprisingly quiet area in New York City. ‘The City of Dreams’ Does anybody actually believe that bullshit? New York was a city like any other just big, loud and filled with crime everywhere you looked.

I had learned to fear the darker parts of this place, the wicked people hiding in the shadows waiting for an opportunity to betray you, those who feast on your suffering. And still I felt the urge to explore and take down anything evil. So everything I had left was daydreaming…. A lot of daydreaming. The tiniest things would cause me to dive into this perfect world, full of glorious purpose.

“Hey you, hurry! I don’t have the time to wait until you’re done staring into thin air, I’ve been waiting seven whole fucking minutes for a Coffee now!”

I flinched as the voice had caught me off guard, ripping me out of my thoughts violently. The man in front of me was anything but a face I liked to see. It was my grumpy, old neighbour William. I wasn’t talking to him often and I’d like to keep it that way but as far as I noticed he was sexist, homophobic and racist probably stuck in the 50’s. Sometimes I asked myself if the sun had burned down his brain because there was no hair protecting his skull, but that was obviously not it.

I hurried towards the Coffee machine so I wouldn’t piss him of anymore as I, in a low voice, told myself that he was a Dick and that I had the urge to hit him with a chair. It would be a favour to everyone around him. I pressed the button for all black Coffee, impatiently waiting for the Mug to fill up so I could dump some sugar into it and give it to William. When I tried to grab a pack of sugar, I didn’t feel anything in my hand and realised that I had to refill it.

“I’m sorry the sugar is empty; I’ll go get some out of the kitchen.”

I said fake smiling at him so he wouldn’t start insulting me. I walked towards the kitchen and as soon as I stepped in, I dropped my smile and let out a frustrated sigh, what seemed to be amusing since Dean started laughing a bit too enthusiastic.

“What pissed you off dear?”

“My neighbour is being a Bitch, bet you never felt this way considering you’re the bitch of your neighborhood.”

With that said a wet cloth came flying in my direction which I barely managed to ward off with my hand as I started laughing as well. As I pulled open the drawer that contained the sugar, Dean traced towards me and stopped right next to me.

“You know, if someone was such a dick to me, I’d know exactly what I would be doing.”

His voice was now a low whisper, dripping with amusement as a cheeky Grin made its way onto his face, mischief gleaming in his eyes.
He was a bad influence, but I never really cared. He was fun to be around and a really good friend to me. One of the only ones I had left.

“Of course, you do!”
I laughed it off, concealing the sudden wave of sadness consuming me at the thought of the people I had lost.

“You’re our local Drama-Queen!”

“Don’t insult me! You know I’m a walking stereotype from time to time.”

He flicked his hand to support his fake offended tone, what made me shake my head. I really didn’t know what was going on in my best friends mind at times.

“But seriously, if I was in your shoes, I’d just spit into his coffee. I mean you don’t mess with the person in charge of your food…or in this case drinks.”

I nearly choked as I looked at him in light Horror. He couldn’t be serious. I would never do something that disgusting and as he seemed to notice his hand suddenly reached for the cup, succeeding since I didn’t expect him to do anything like this.
Before I could protest, he had spat into the coffee and stirred it so William wouldn’t notice. My mouth fell open, as he smiled at me innocently, still stirring.

“You- You can’t do that! What am I supposed to do now? I can’t make a new coffee I’d have to charge him twice or pay for one myself! God!”

“You want to know what to do? Easy. Give it to him. He’s not gonna notice it.”

At this point I was 100% sure he was insane, but I had to admit that it was the easiest thing to do. No extra paying and I would finally get my revenge on him. I sighed, not actually knowing what to do but after a few seconds I was putting sugar into the Mug and walking out, a sweet smile plastered onto my face, while I handed him the coffee.

“Here you go, I hope you’ll have a great day.”

I set the Coffee down in front of him, silently praying that I didn’t blush since my face began to feel a little hot. I turned around walking to the counter as fast as possible avoiding Eye contact with everyone around me.

When I arrived back at the counter, I saw him taking a sip what caused him to look at the coffee confused. Shit. Before he even started to move, I knew he was gonna call me to his table. And that was exactly what happened. I scratched my hand nervously, as I walked towards him. To the outside I seemed to be at least medium relaxed but my heart was racing as if I just ran 10 miles and I felt cold sweat building on my back. It felt as if it would take ages to get to him and when I finally arrived, he looked up at me obviously unpleased.

“What aroma did u put in there? I didn’t ask for one.”

His tone was accusatory as he looked at me, silently telling me I messed up, but aside from my racing heart and the heat in my cheeks I tried staying calm.

“There is no aroma in the coffee, I’m sorry but I can’t help you. It is exactly as you ordered it.”

William didn’t say a thing, he just turned back to his newspaper. At least he didn’t try to keep discussing.
With a quick look towards the counter, I realised that new customers were waiting for me, so I hurried back and began to take orders as I made a mental note to confront Dean later.
The rest of my shift was pretty peaceful so I quickly forgot about William and decided that the confrontation could wait till the next morning since I didn’t want to ruin my mood with a stupid discussion. I mean I got away with it, didn’t I?

At exactly 3:20 pm my co-worker who was to replace me in the afternoon and evening came in to get ready so she could start her shift at 3:30. That was the trait loved most about all my co-workers. They were always on time. So, at the time she came out we chatted for a short time picking up on each other’s days and some outstanding orders.
At 3:40 I was heading back to change and at 3:50 I left. I decided to walk home since I wasn’t in the mood to be in the crowded busses of New York or pay for an expensive Uber. I walked down the Street crossing probably hundreds of people until I took a turn and entered the small alley I lived in, that wasn’t like the streets I came from at all. There were barely ever people seen and even though it wasn’t fancy in any way I enjoyed living here. It didn’t make sense but the Air felt fresher when there were no people around me and I was a person who was able to pretend the noises of the city around me were birds wind and water. For a Moment I just stood there leaning back my head, with closed Eyes breathing and enjoying the imagined silence when it hit me. In the truest sense of the Word since everything went Black and the last thing, I felt was a sudden pain on the back of my head.
___________
1498 Words