Chapter 2

My chest feels so contrasted as I make the twenty-minute drive out to our rural country home

My chest feels so contrasted as I make the twenty-minute drive out to our rural country home. I pull up to the circle drive parking in my normal parking spot. The house is ugly, a long white stucco with six bedrooms. I've never been ashamed of where I live before, right now I wish I didn't live here with my grandparents, parents, aunt, uncle, and cousins.

I run in the back door, my family is already settled into the great room where they have their discussions.

"Granddaughter." Grandfather says, "Come sit with me." He gestures to the rug next to his chair. I fight the urge to roll my eyes, I'm thirty for fucks sake I should not have to sit on the ground. I should also have my own fucking house already. Not the time, I remind myself. I obediently sit next to him, and scan the room to see my cousins are also on rugs near their parents.

"Wolves?" My mother asks.

I nod, "Yes three rogues it seems have decided to move into Fernley." I say only what is asked of me, even though I'm next in line after my mother for alpha in our pack.

Grandfather is quiet a moment, "Did they seem hostile?"

I give a slight shake of my head, "Just stopped into the diner for lunch."

"Alright, we'll extend the invitation for them to join us for dinner tonight. Let's get this over with."

I groan, "I didn't get any of their numbers."

"Doesn't matter," my eldest cousin Kyle says, "They followed you here."

Grandfather gestures for my mother to go meet them at the front door. With a huff she stands and stomps over to the door, opening it with a grim smile.

"We were expecting you." She says.

"You must be Josie's mother," It's Quincy who answers her.

"I am Jessica, second in line to alpha. Please come into our home to be acquainted." Mom moves out of the away allowing them to file in and gestures to the worn empty couch.

Awkwardly the three massive guys sit down. My grandfather nods his head to Quincy. "I am Jessie, pack alpha to this territory. Why have you moved to our small town?"

I try to stop staring at the three of them, but I can't take my eyes off them. They are just so male, and it's been so long since I've even been on a decent date. Casey gives me a wink, while Brook assesses my family.

"I'm Quincy Newbury, this is my second Brook Harrison, and Casey Jessup. We were recently released from the military and told this would be a quiet town open to shifters. Is it not?"

Grandfather narrows his eyes, "Hmm, who told you it's open to shifters? We've had no other shifters pass through in decades besides coyote."

Casey clears his throat, "Major Perez, he told us Private Peter Laine is from here."

Grandfather nods, "Have you heard from my grandson? It's been three years since we've seen him."

I don't shift, I stay perfectly still. These wolves are looking for my brother, they aren't here to settle.

"We have not had the pleasure of meeting him alpha." Casey answers.

"I'm officially asking your permission to settle in Fernley and start our lives over." Quincy says, bringing the conversation back to him.

Grandfather says nothing for a moment, "What will you do for our people if we let you stay?"

Quincy straightens slightly making himself look bigger, "We can take care of any enemies that come this way."

Grandfather huffs, "We never have any trouble, I need my granddaughters married off. Think you can help with that?" He cracks a smile, then laughs.

Quincy visibly gulps glancing in my direction before refocusing on grandfather, "We can take that into consideration."

"Very well then. Minny prepare a feast, Jessica and Josie help your grandmum. The rest of you shoo."

With that we're dismissed, Kyle gives me a wink. He knowsgrandfather will try to set me up first then my youngest cousin Daphne. Greatmother above help me, I don't think I can resist these wolves.