Melchior

I woke to the constant stream of chatter I could hear downstairs. As one of the elders, my abilities were much more heightened than that of a modern vampire. 

Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I woke and got ready for another long day.

As I reached my office, I could hear Sam in one of the downstairs kitchens with his mate Daina. I didn't have a mate, and I never would. Yet another diabolical feature of being an elder vampire, they had already passed, I assumed.

As I sat down at my desk to fly through more paperwork I heard a rapid knocking on the door. I looked at my watch to see that it was only 6:25. Who would be working right now other than me?

"Come in." Sam burst through the door, panting. "Why are you here?" I asked calmly. wondering what he could need so early when I knew he was just downstairs with his mate.

"There's someone passed out at the border sir, freshly turned from the smell of him" Sam rushed out. "Okay, then take him to the infirmary," I said how he ended up here. "I think you should come, Sir, he smells like an elder, but it's clear that he's fresh."

I rose from my desk with a sense of urgency. My steps quickened as I followed Sam through the corridors of the compound, my mind racing with possibilities.

We arrived at the border and immediately In that suspended instance, I felt a surge of emotions—an overwhelming mix of astonishment, recognition, and an inexplicable warmth that unfurled in my chest. It was a revelation that stirred emotions I had long thought buried. This boy was my mate.

his features contorted in the agony of the transformation. The air was thick with the unmistakable scent of blood mingled with the essence of an elder, Me, I realised. He smelt like me. Sam watched in astonishment as he watched my normally dark green eyes turn a vibrant red at the sight of my mate. "Oh! congra-" Sam rushed out the words faster than he could think. I shook off the daze I was in and realised that the boy could only have been about a day into his transformation, he was still writhing in pain. "We don't have time for this!" I picked the boy up and ran as quickly as I could to the infirmary where I knew we had drugs that made the transition painless.  

Administering the pain-alleviating drug, I watched as the young man's convulsions gradually ceased, his agonized expressions softening into a more peaceful slumber. The drug would grant him respite from the excruciating transformation, allowing him a brief reprieve from the torment that had accompanied his newfound vampiric existence.

As he lay unconscious, the reality of the situation sunk in—a mate, discovered under the most unexpected circumstances. My own heart, dormant for centuries, now pulsed with an unfamiliar fervour, awakened by this inexplicable connection.

But amidst the chaos of emotions swirling within me, a sense of responsibility emerged. I knew the fragile state of a freshly turned vampire, especially one connected to an elder. My mate's transition was different, entwined with my existence, and I felt a profound obligation to guide him through this unfamiliar journey.

The minutes stretched on, each second laden with the weight of anticipation. I hovered by his side, observing the peaceful countenance that had replaced the earlier torment. The scent of his blood, a unique blend intertwined with my own essence, lingered in the air—a tangible reminder of our inexplicable bond.

I took this time to have a proper look at him. He was tall and a little lanky. He had dark black hair that was curly, but well-kept. His face was still flushed from his earlier pain, and I couldn't help but notice how surprisingly pretty he was.