Chapter 12: Survive

Logan held on tightly to Charlottes hand, relieved to have found her before it was too late. The thought of him not being there when she was about to fall scared him, but now was not the time to think of such things as he now had to make sure to bring Charlotte's unconscious body to safety which was a rather hard thing to do. It took a few minutes before he finally managed to clear his thoughts and begin his long and difficult climb back up. Hauling Charlotte up, he managed to get a firm grip of her waist, almost slipping in the process.

Climbing ever so carefully, he went over one rock, and another, continuously, his hold on Charlotte's waist still firm as he continued his tiring climb. His muscles trembled at having to both his weight and Charlotte's up the mountain. The rain had begun to ease a little, his vision becoming a bit clearer as he continued the climb. Finally he reached their little cave, relief flooding his system as he pulled Charlotte to the safety of the cave. Laying her down on her mat, the young lad gathered the bit of wood he had gathered before the rain had started and lit a fire, covering Charlotte with both his and her sheet.

Logan sat close to the fire, never once taking his eyes off the young lady, hardly believing that she was real. His thoughts wandered as he stared at the girl, unable to comprehend that she was still alive yet he had clearly seen her fall off the edge of the rock platform.

"You're very strong," he muttered under his breath, "if it had been me, I would've been dead."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Move!! Do not draw back! Keep pushing forward!" shouted the army general hysterically.

Charlotte glanced at her surroundings, the ground littered with dead bodies and blood painting the field red. The young lady looked at the bloodstained sword in her hand, frozen in place.

"Charlotte!"

Turning around, the young lady spotted her younger brother running towards her, his whole body covered in bruises.

"Who did this to you?!" she exclaimed, her blood boiling with anger.

"The man who killed mother."

"W-what?"

"Sister, why did you leave us," said Jasper between sobs.

Charlotte looked behind Jasper, her mother's terrifying corpse coming into view.

"Mother?" she whispered under her breath, grief beginning to settle in.

"You left us," said Jasper, his body fading away into dust and ashes.

"No, Jasper, no!" she cried, desperately trying to grab hold of the ashes that were blown away by the wind.

"Charlotte, look out!"

The young lady turned only to see Logan, who was terribly wounded and on the brink of death, warning her of the incoming danger.

She spotted the glint of a sword from the corner of her eye, but it was already too late as the soldier aimed his sword at her throat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

"No!"

Charlotte woke up with a start, the vivid nightmare replaying in her mind as she screamed in horror.

"Charlotte. Charlotte!"

Logan's voice snapped her out of it, bringing her back to reality as she breathed heavily.

"It's ok, you're safe now."

"B-but they were all dead," she sobbed, unable to prevent herself from trembling.

"It's alright, no one is dead, I'm right here," soothed Logan as he pulled her in for a hug, allowing her to cry into his shoulder.

"It was a nightmare, you're okay now," he said, gently rubbing circles on her back, "Everything is just fine."