CHAPTER ONE

WELCOME TO COLORADO

WELCOME TO COLORADO

_______💌_______

SITTING in the backseat of her fathers car, Juliet sat between her sisters, Taylor Swift blasting on the stereo as she sang along dramatically, amusing Lucy and Jackie as they watched enraptured"--So I sneak out to the garden to see you. We keep quiet, 'cause we're dead if they knew, so close your eyes, escape this town for a little while, oh-oh. 'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter and my daddy said--"

"Stay away from Juliet!" Benton sang out off-key, glancing to the girl in question with a grin making his wife and daughters laugh as they song continued in the background. He looked between with a confused frown "What?"

"Dad, maybe leave the singing to Taylor or Jules." Jackie suggested kindly.

Lucy reached forward to pat his shoulder "Yeah, old man, you sound like a dying cat."

Benton's eyes widened as he looked to his wife "Tell me it's not true, mi amor."

"Oh honey." Angelica placed a hand on his cheek in amusement "Your singing is like no other."

"See, I'm magic." Benton grinned proudly, glancing back to Juliet "Just like you, mija. You get your musical talent from me."

Juliet could only shake her head with a smile as they drove across the intersection but that smile dropped as she spotted the car speeding towards them from the drivers side of the car "Dad, look out!"

As the horn barred and headlights blinded Juliet, she instinctively raised her arm to shield her eyes just as the impact came--

Juliet suddenly gasped awake, her breath heavy and forehead marred with sweat. She ignored Jackie's concerned stare as she pulled her AirPods free from her ears, Taylor Swift replaced by the voice of the Captain over the PA system.

"--Ladies and gentlemen, we have begun our descent into Colorado. Please turn off all portable electronic devices and stow them until we have arrived at the gate. In preparation for landing in Colorado be certain your seat back is straight up and your seat belt is fastened. Please secure your carry-on items, stow your tray table, and pass any remaining service items and unwanted reading materials to the flight attendants. Thank you."