Chapter One

I’m running at lightning speed and the woods are getting closer. I arrive breathless and climb into the trees. Peace at last. I’m tired of being stuck inside. My parents are always arguing and it’s so annoying.

“Finally alone,” I sign, as I don't talk anymore, “No noise. Just the forest around me.”

I look around, I see birds. I hear squirrels in the tree, shuffling to get ready for fall. I hear a branch break in the distance and turn quickly from my perch on the tree branch. Luckily it was only another squirrel.

I smile and go back to jumping from tree to tree. Mom got super mad today at Dad so the further away from home the better. She started to yell at him, louder than normal, and he was crying. But, it wasn't just that. She started hitting him, really hard. He was bleeding really badly but Mom didn't stop hitting him. I didn’t call the cops though, I was too scared. I only grabbed my ears and tail to attach while I was running.

“Who’s there?” I signed. I heard a noise, but I didn’t recognize it as an animal. I hide in the leaves.

I wait a minute, but no one returns an answer. I come out of hiding and my tail gets stuck on a branch.

Of course it had to be right now! I untangle my tail and try to stay quiet, making no noises. I haven't heard anything else yet.

"Is anyone there?" I signed, scared. "I won't hurt you!" I put my hands up to show I have no weapons. I then realized, if I'm signing they probably won't understand that. I kept quiet anyway.

I wait a minute and hear a faint meow coming from a bush. I meow back and shuffling shows that the cat may be coming to me.

"Well hello there little one," a small white kitten appears in front of me. "What's your name?"

I put my hand out and they push their nose gently on my finger, rubbing their face on me. I reach down to see if they have a collar.

Hm. No name then? Are you a boy or a girl? That's important to know. I roll them over, it's a girl after all. You're a cute cat, you know that right? You remind me of my cat at home, Ivy. She's a black cat. I smile at the small ball curled up beside me, she's a cute cat. I should stay with her, she seems to know the forest pretty well.

"I should give you a name, so I know what to call you." I look down at her, Luna would be a cute name. "What about Luna? For the moon. It seems to fit you well."

She meows and it seems like she agrees, even though she doesn't know what I'm signing. "Luna it is.” I smile at her. "You're such a sweet kitty." She meows and lays on me, purring. She's so small, I wonder how old she is.

She soon falls asleep so I gently carry her into the trees, careful not to wake her. She looks so peaceful while she lays there, purring. I move the branches and sit down trying to not drop Luna.

Such a fluffy little ball, I start petting her while we sit in the branches. It’s super peaceful up here.

I hear another branch break and snap my head around. I’m not moving at all but Luna woke up and started looking around as well. She slowly climbs down the tree to explore.

NOTE: THIS BOOK WILL PROBABLY BE UNFINISHED, I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THINGS AT HOME AND CAN'T COME UP WITH THINGS TO WRITE. I'M SO SORRY, I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE BRIEF STORY.

-LOVE, WREN