8) The Blue Goo is Viscous

"Well done!" Mrs. Weasley ruffled Ron's hair. "Nine O.W.L.s! That's more than Fred and George put together!"

"Hermione?" I stared at her downturned face, palms growing oddly clammy. "How did you do?"

"I — not bad." Hermione's voice trembled.

"Oh, come off it." Ron peered over her shoulder to get a look at her marks. "Yep — nine 'Outstandings' and one 'Exceeds Expectations in Defense Against the Dark Arts." He looked at her, almost impressed with her reaction. "You're actually disappointed, aren't you?" To give Ron credit, Hermione had done impressively close to perfect, and for her to be disappointed over exceeding expectations in one subject out of ten was definitely a bit odd. I knew, however, that Hermione had higher aspirations than any of us could imagine, and thought she needed every edge she could get.

Hermione shook her head, recognizing that there wasn't too much to be disappointed over, but she was unable to hide her emotions, anyway.

"Well, we're N.E.W.T. students now!" Ron grinned. "Mum, are there any more sausages."

I looked at Harry, who had gone back to staring at his scores, and asked, "What's wrong?"

"I got an 'E' in Potions," Harry said glumly.

"That's great, Hare-bear!"

"I can't take Potions this year. Snape doesn't accept 'E' students for N.E.W.T.s."

"Well, lucky that you don't have to deal with him anymore, he can be a real grouch."

"I need Potions to become an Auror."

I stared at him, looked down at his scores, then frowned. I sat straighter, already making a plan of attack to get him in the class. "Things will be just fine, Hare-bear, don't you worry your pretty little head!"

Harry looked at me wearily. "Snape will just call me an entitled brat if I try to get in."

"If you weigh your pride over your future, fine, we can work something else out." I slouched back, thinking. "You know, you don't have to actually take the class to take the test. We could —"

"Sausages!" Mrs. Weasley proudly presented a fresh made platter to us.

***

Our scores came with our supply list and other announcements. Harry had been made Quidditch Captain in the wake of Angelina's graduation.

"That gives you equal status with us Prefects!" Hermione's mood brightened. "You can use our special bathroom now, and everything!"

"What?" I blinked at her. "There's no way. That makes no sense. Students who have the power to punish others, are entrusted in carrying out serious matters, and are made to deal with the itty-bitty firsties are on the same level as better-than-average athletes?"

"I never said it was a good system," Hermione said.

"I'm going to wreak havoc on the school board. Don't worry, Harry, I'll do it after we graduate so you can use the nice bathroom."

"I wasn't particularly worried about it, but thanks." Harry admired his shiny new badge.

Ron snatched it from him, eyes full of awe. "Wow, I remember when Charlie wore one of these. Harry, this is so cool, you're my captain — if you let me back on the team, I suppose, ha ha..."

"Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these." Mrs. Weasley sighed, looking at Ron's list. "We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going there without him."