Chapter 1

I picked your favorite flowers today.

I took a deep breath and looked at the computer, typing a few things in. I kept a straight posture and a warm yet friendly smile... for now. A ring came through the headphones, and I picked up. Yet another customer wondering if they were able to refund an order.

"Alright miss. If you give me your order number I will be able to give you instructions!" I said with a warm yet joyful tone to my voice. The woman did so. Order #10349...

I typed a few things into the computer, trying to figure out if she was able to. I paused. She had placed this order a few months ago. "Ummm ma'am, do you remember when your order arrived?"

My eyes narrowed... two months ago. I sighed. "Unfortunaly miss we cannot refund packages if they have arrived more than 30 days ago."

I winced as I heard yelling on that side of the phone. Another Karen, but I couldn't speak up. I listened to the customer rant about them being right or them actually having received the package 10 days ago. I frowned.

"I'm sorry miss. If you would like, I can check your address to check the date when it arrived and go from there?"

There was a beep from the phone as they hung up. I slid the headphones off my ears, rubbing my face. As I heard a clock beep on my desk, I grabbed my bag and started putting my items in there. My phone, meds, lunch/dinner, notebook... yep! That was it. I stood up and quickly left the building before they could force me to work more hours or some shit.

I had class tomorrow. We would be learning about murderers from the 1900s, which I was actually exited for. Regardless, I would be working into the night tomorrow... which would be less than pleasant. I peeked at the time. I would have to take my meds when I got home.

As I slid into the car, I put the keys in and started up the car. I closed the door, letting the doors lock as I buckled my seatbelt and put my hands on the wheel. I just wanted to get home and get on my pajamas and flop onto the bed. The sun was already almost fully set, only a glimmer of light on the horizon.

I started to drive, pulling out of the parking garage and onto the street. Not many people out here at this time. I had turned right, so I would have to go straight for a few minutes. I hooked up my phone to the car and turned on some light music so I wasn't driving in silence.

As I hopped onto an almost ghost road, I saw a deer standing by the side. Odd. I had seen that thing in that exact same position for the last two days. But I only saw it at night. I slowed the car to a stop and rolled down the righthand window to look at the deer closer to see if I had just been hallucinating it. Perhaps I had forgotten to take my meds? I whistled to see if I could catch its attention.

Its ears perked up as it looked at me through the window. We locked eye contact for a moment before it suddenly sprinted into the forest. I contemplated following it with my car, but decided against it. I closed the window and put my foot on the gas, driving to home. I needed to be home in time to take my meds.

I saw it again in my rear-view mirror. The deer, staring at my car as it drove away. I looked ahead and shook it off. I finally got home and turned off the car, unbuckling and stepping out of it with the keys in my hand. I stood near the front door, my mind suddenly going blank. I stood there before looking at the keys in my hand. I shook my head and unlocked the doors.