Chapter 1: A Smile Worth A Year To Wait

A year has passed since the seperation between the Yiling Laozhu and Hanguang Jun. Many things happened during then.

Caiyi town, Gusu~

"Waiter, one more jar of Emperor's Smile!" A gleeful call came from the corner table. The call came from a young man, dressed head to toe in red and black. His silky hair was tied up by a familiar red ribbon that twirled in incessant spins in the wind that blew from the nearby window. His eyes shone pearls like the ones in the ocean deep. Naturally, he was accompanied by the deep abyssal black flute with a crimson red talisman; ChenQing, the demon flute of the Yiling Laozhu. His name was Wei Ying - courtesy name Wei Wuxian - also known as the Yiling Laozhu, feared by many. However, the stains upon his name that were spilled by another evil-doer were cleaned and cleared.

"Young man, you really can drink a lot!" The waiter exclaimed. "Here," he said as he placed another pearly-white jar with the words 'Tian Zi Xiao'  embedded into the ceramic.

"Thank you," Wei Ying said as he took the jar and downed it in one go. In his hand was a small gift for his shidi; it was a clarity bell fitted with a violet talisman and lotus charm. He got up, leaving a silver piece on the table and exited the restaurant. He was, after all, a wandering cultivator who stopped by to have a meal. He continued his journey through the road and abruptly stopped in front of a man he thought he'd wait years to see.

"Lan Zhan." Wei Ying beamed at the tall figure. It was a man about the same age as Wei Ying. He wore white cultivation robes; ones that looked like funeral mourning robes to Wei Ying. A jade penant hung from his belt, the pendant adorned with ornaments of silver and white jade. His eyes were an ethereal golden, shocked from the sight of seeing his beloved after only a year. His forehead ribbon danced in the wind, carefreely and graciously. In his hand grasped a familiar sword; Bichen, the frightening but beautiful blade of the mighty Hanguang Jun himself. Lan Zhan - courtesy name Lan Wangji, also known as the Hanguang Jun, the righteous role model of the Gusu Lan Sect - began shedding tears as he finally found his beloved. Watery drops of tears rolled down his pearlescent cheeks.

"Lan Zhan, why're you crying?" Wei Ying asked as he hugged Lan Zhan wholeheartedly. "Lan Zhan, I was going to go visit you in Cloud Recesses. I heard Jiang Cheng was going to be here for a meeting with Zewu Jun. Where were you going to go?"

"Night hunt with Sizhui and Jingyi. Sect Leader Jin is also going." He pushed away from Wei Ying, wiped away his tears, and pulled on Wei Ying's robes. "Want to come?"

"Night hunt with A-Yuan, Jin Ling and Jingyi? Sure. Sounds fun. How have things been going on with Jin Ling, other than he's been promoted to Sect Leader? I heard he's been going to Gusu for quite a few times."

"Sect Leader Jin has been visiting Cloud Recesses many times. I believe he's there to see Sizhui and Jingyi. They often go night hunting with Wen Ning as well. About xiongzhang, he's been in..." Lan Zan couldn't bear to say the word.

"Seclusion? I heard. Word travels fast." Wei Ying and Lan Zhan began walking towards the rendevous point to meet up with Sizhui and Jingyi.

"How have you been doing, Wei Ying?"

"I've been well. I met Baoshan Sanren." Lan Zhan froze.

"Your grandmaster?" He continued walking, though his mind was still shocked from the news.

"Yep, She's been helping me restore my core. This Mo XuanYu's core is so weak. However, I cultivate demonic energy, so I don't really mind. Speaking of cores, is Suibian still with Wen Ning?"

"Yes. It's proved to be fruitful for Wen Ning. Some time ago, it unsealed itself for Wen Ning to use."

Outside of Caiyi Town~

"Hanguang Jun!" Two voices called out. The two figures bowed to their Chief Cultivator. They were both in white cultivation robes with cloud embroidery around the hem of the robes. Swords grasped in their hands, their sleeves drooped down, but it barely touched the floor. Their forehead ribbons had no metalic cloud charm, but was still elegant and graceful just like their master's. Their eyes, a timid brown and hazel, set their gaze on the man in black next to Hanguang Jun.

"Wei Qianbei!" The shorter one called. His name was Lan Yuan or Wen Yuan, courtesy name Lan Sizhui, a flawless copy of Hanguang Jun. The junior next to Sizhui bowed as well; Lan Jingyi, the most un-Lan Lan of the Lan Clan. "It's been a long time, Wei Qianbei!"

"A-Yuan, Jingyi, where's Jin Ling?" Wei Ying asked.

"Jin Ling is coming soon, We just have to wait for him, and Wen shushu as well," Sizhui replied.

"Alright then, let's wait a while."

"Wei Qianbei, Zizhen and his clan is also going." Jingyi piped, his hands crossed, chin up high in pride for his second-best friend; no one can top his ever-so-gracious best-est friend!

"Mn," Lan Zhan nodded towards the two.

"Wei gongzi!" A hoarse yet familiar face greeted. His eyes abyssal black, he stands tall, even though he's been through so many hardships. His chains wrapped around his neck, across his chest and tangled around his arms, 16 years of usage but still not rusted. Robes, dainted and torn, yet a smile from ear to ear, happy to see his saviour brother; the one who saved his sister and family, himself even, from falling into the abyss of darkness and death. Wen Ning, courtesy name Wen Qionglin, happily greeted the two Lan Juniors with a bear hug and the Hanguang Jun and the Yiling Laozhu with a deep bow, to which Wei Ying hurriedly helped Wen Ning up.

"Wen Ning, Wen Ning. I told you already, don't bow to me. You've helped out too much already." Wei Ying patted his shoulder in assurance.

Suddenly, a Jin disciple ran towards the seniors and juniors, yelling,"HANGUANG JUN! GHOST GENERAL!"

"What is it?" Lan Zhan asked.

"Sect Leader Jin is in danger!"