Feathered Biped

Blue feathers flittered down from the sky. The onlookers and tourists of the zoo can only watch in astonishment at this strange phenomena as the keepers make their calls and shout their questions. Did one of the bird enclosures have an incident? Was this a migratory flock? A storm?

Confusion swept through the offices as kids innocently pocket these feathers. 

They may not realize it, but each feather would harbor a piece of them. A memory. For some it may be a fleeting moment, a brief moment of peace in their family that will only blossom as blue snowflakes fall gently from above. A brief moment entombed in their minds, never to return fully but as hazy pictures. For others, it's certainly unique; but happiness will have always had a presence in their lives. This would be no different, a story to tell around the table every so often and nothing more. 

For the masters of the zoo? A chaotic series of phone calls and inspections as they meticulously examine each enclosure, count every feather on every bird for the promise of reasoning. A reward they will never receive, a raise they will never get. 

 In one of the pampered prisons, a lioness paws and sniffs at the feathers. Seemingly wincing at the unnatural smell of the bundle of fibers. It looks upwards as the slow rain lazily dances down.

In another, a cockroach nibbles at a piece of uneaten chip. Unaware of the events outside, concerned only with producing more offspring and getting the calories it needs to survive. More join in its feeding frenzy, the chip torn asunder under the assault. 

Without any indication, the fall of feathers come to stop. It's hard to say when it stopped, only that at some point it had cut off from a pour to a trickle to a drop. Blue covered the grounds, getting picked up by wind and bundling, triggering allergies and being a nuisance. What once occupied the minds of the visitors now becoming a memory as they continue on. Trudging across the sandy and feathered pavement. Blue soon turned to a dirtied black.

Tomorrow, when the picture becomes clearer, a host of responses will have festered and be unleashed. Blaming a cargo plane, the president, the anti-Christ and extra-terrestrials.

But for the woman in the cage at the highest point of the zoo, it would have only been just as natural as the sun shining down on her.