Chapter Four

"Another set. Come on."

Billie's stare went blank as she arranged her position on the weight training bench, "You cannot be serious."

"Yeah, I can," Denzel chuckled.

"You're making dinner and giving me a massage tonight."

"Deal," a grin tugged on his lips. "Now, come on. One last set."

He watched her get a good grip on the bar and with a groan filled with struggle, she began to lift it as he spotted her.

With each rep, her breathing became heavier and louder.

"Motherfucker," she gritted through her teeth.

In retaliation, he couldn't help but slightly chortle at her reaction, "You're doing great. Seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve. Now hold it."

Billie's eyes tightly shut closed when he counted down from three before helping her set the bar back down.

"Oh my God," she panted. "My arms feel like noodles."

"You did a great job."

"Oh, I know," with a grin she playfully flexed her biceps. "Look at these guns."

"Okay," he laughed. "Go stretch. I'll clean up after you."

She got up from the weight training bench and began doing stretching exercises whilst Denzel got a hold of a sanitizing spray bottle and tissues before cleaning off her sweat from the equipment.

"Do you think Prince has lost his mind with Elijah already?"

"I hope not," he laughed. "I'm surprised you agreed to let him babysit."

Sitting down on the floor, she spread her legs apart as much as she could and stretched towards her right leg, "Well, I would've preferred Claudia or mom, but this is good practice for him."

"Maybe it's time to get a nanny?" he set down the spray bottle and began walking towards the trashcan to throw out the tissues.

"Absolutely not," she scoffed. "I'd never trust a stranger with my own kid."

"I'd make my people do a background check."

She moved on to her other leg, "No, thank you. I know how easy it is to fake someone's background. Andrew did it all the time."

"Is that the reason?"

"What?"

"Your past."

"You never know. He could always come back, get his revenge."

"I think, that that's your paranoia speaking."

"But," she put up her pointer finger. "Better safe than sorry. I'm done here."

He helped her get up from the floor of their apartment complex's gym and tried to hand her, her water bottle, but she pulled away.

"Nah uh. You're carrying it."

Quietly laughing, his arm sneaked around her lower back so they could finally leave.

Both of them were silently nervous at the thought of leaving Prince alone with Elijah so when they opened the front door of their apartment and heard both of them yelling, they rushed over to the living room.

The two of them were sitting on the couch, watching a game of basketball on the TV. Like every little kid, Eli was mirroring Prince's behavior of cheerful yelling.

"You scared me! God!" Billie exhaled a sigh filled with relief.

"Sorry," Prince turned back for a second with a grin till she began walking closer.