chapter 1: im coming home

It was all a bad dream.

Yunjin woke up panting, scared and thankful that everything was nothing but a really bad dream. Not a dream, actually, it was a nightmare. That's how she'd define a life without her, at least.

She sighed deeply and sat up so she could regulate her breathing when something in the corner of her eye caught her attention. She turned around and glanced at the sleeping form lying down next to her. Oh, hi. It was still dark but she was there, so it was okay, Yunjin thought.

Her head was spinning a bit and her mind was still foggy. The light coming from the muted TV was the only thing providing any clarity in the dark bedroom she came to recognize as her own. She felt a cold breeze coming from the slightly open window, the curtain swaying in the wind. That's probably what woke her up, actually, since Yunjin always felt cold easily.

But instead of getting up to close the window, Yunjin pulled up the covers and cuddled closer to the woman lying by her side. She took a deep breath hoping to find comfort in the familiar scent she loved so much but instead she was met with a totally different perfume. That's when Yunjin finally realized that something was wrong.

Everything was, actually. She should've known.

Yunjin pulled away abruptly but the other girl didn't seem to notice. All she did was pull the covers up to her chest and lay down further into the mattress, getting comfortable after the slight interruption of her sleep.

That's also when reality hit Yunjin like a lightning: it wasn't her. It couldn't be. Not anymore, not since a long time ago. It wasn't a nightmare like she thought before, it was her reality, her life now. Reality to which she had grown used to, but for some reason - and said reason had a beautiful face, a pretty name and a currently unknown address - she had allowed herself to forget it the night before.

But the reality also brought her a tremendous headache. Either the reality or the hangover, whatever, Yunjin wasn't in a position to play the blame game at the moment. She didn't find her phone on the nightstand so she squeezed her eyes into focus so she could take a look at the time on the left corner of the TV where the news was on. It was 6:25 am, she grimaced. Way too early to be awake on a weekend.

Yunjin tried to remember the other girl's name but nothing from the night before was very clear in her mind. Was it Myung? Minjeong? It's something with a M... or maybe a N...? Fuck, Yunjin, you're better than this. She cringed and scolded herself thinking about how it wasn't like her at all.

But what's done was done, she had more important things to think about now, so studied her options: should she wake the M or N girl up or should she wait a little longer? It was Sunday, after all, it's not like she had classes or anything else to do. Besides, she didn't want to be rude and kick her out of her house so early. Would they even have anything to talk about if she's awake? Should Yunjin make her breakfast or something like that? Fuck, she's no good at this kind of stuff, how the hell did she put herself in this situation in the first place?

But hey, she's pretty. Maybe it was totally worth it, Yunjin thought and then rolled her eyes at herself.

Get your head out of the gutter, you don't even remember what happened!, her responsible-and-mature version scolded her hormonal-sixteen-year-old side.

Deciding it was best to wait a little longer, she took the time to replay the events of the night before in her mind.

Yunjin remembered how Yena, one of her best friends and flatmate, broke into her bedroom in the early evening claiming that they just had to go to, quoting Yena's exact words, redundancy and all, an unmissable party they couldn't miss. Yunjin was painfully aware that she needed a break from her own bedroom, where she had been playing this new game she borrowed from Kazuha since the night before.